Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Capensis ever die!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Capensis ever die!

So... the first carnivorous plant I got, was my D. Capensis. Had it for now, well since august 08, and it must have been 6 months old, making it roughly two+ years old now. If I were to compare from when I bought it, it grew a good 6 inches, making it about 8 inches tall now.

Does this thing ever die or does it just keep going, and going, like the energizer bunny I love the palm tree look! How old is your oldest specimen of D. Capensis, and how tall is it? Mother plant, not generations of roots making offshoots...

Thanks!

***EDIT*** What I really wanted to know was from the long time growers, those that have had this plant for many years, eg. more than 2 years Anyone can kill a plant, I'm not interested in knowing how to kill a cape or how they always come back from the roots(but thanks for your replies anyways ), I'm interested in knowing what is the life expectancy of a capensis, and what height can a capensis get after x number of years?

(Do they get to 12 inches tall, and live to 10 years?)
    Last edited by blokeman; 01-26-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: reformulating question...
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think i bought my first one 2-3 years ago, huge root system and i bought it as a mature plant, though its stalk doesn't seem to be as large as yours, after a recent repotting the tip died but now it has 2 growth points at the top of the one stalk , mine are in a 14in pot and the roots are close too if not already go to the bottom of the pot on my larger plants. but my 2 mother plants are still alive after all this time, even when i take them from partial shade windowsill conditions to putting them outside in direct sunlight without acclimation. very hardy plants, great for catching bugs since it was one of my first dews i used to love setting bugs on its leaves and comming back later and finding the leaf curled around the bug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always kill mine for some reason (wrong soil, poor light, over-watering, etc).

However, I have a pot of them in my mini-greenhouse that I've had since last summer (the longest I've ever kept them alive). I think I finally found the best way to grow them.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine recently died, sorta. I did the lop off method to get it restarted after 2+ years, moved it to the humidity dorm, and when I moved it back out once it had roots it didn't survive.

However, the 6.5" pot that it was in had about 5 Capensis in it, all clones of the mother plant, and after lopping off the mother plant the roots sent up about 4 plants. So...

Yes, it's impossible to kill Capensis if you aren't using the wrong environs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes its quite simple!: Give your plants to your girlfriend before you go to basic training, wait 6 months, screw up the relationship and wallah! Out of sheer hatred for you your Cape along with other plants will be dead for "Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" (from the play Macbeth if I remember right..).. Wish I knew exactly what she did with them..
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. i did. the stem grew too close to the CF lighting and fried the growth point. i was hoping that off shoots would sprout out of the main stem. the stem then proceeded to shrink and fall over. and that was the end of that.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seem to be be best!!LAst time I repotted one and it just kinda died and grow right back..still very nice!xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    reformulated question, see above post #1

basically, until what age will capensis live?
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast