Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening to my Paddle?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's Happening to my Paddle?

Is it possible for D. 'Ivan's Paddle' to turn (back) into D. rotundifolia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,
    I'm guessing you grew your plant outdoors last summer?
    Also, are you currently feeding it?
    I've found that they shrink considerably after a while if they don't get food. It may need more light too though...I'm not sure
    I've never had a problem with my 'Paddle' before, but mine has done what yours is currenly doing when I took it in from outdoors and didn't feed it for a while.

However, on another note, I have had issues with D. 'Charles Darwin'...
    My main D. rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' spontaneously evaporated this summer after doing the D. 'Ivan's Paddle' thing even though I was still feeding it. I'm still trying to coax along my other babies that I propagated, but I just found that odd- no dormant bud- they just disintegrated....

The odd thing is that I had another of Ivan Snyder's hybrids in the same cup (D. x watari) and they are still thriving in that cup, so I don't know what went wrong...
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought 'ivan's paddle' was a cultivator hybrid--which means that it shouldn't be able to revert to a D. rotundifolia. but maybe it's D. rotundifolia heritage is manifesting itself.

anywho--Pete D'Amato has it underneath his tropicals section. maybe you should grow it as a tropical instead.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's possible for hybrids to revert back to one species. It would be cool if they did, but I don't think so.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. 'Ivan's Paddle' is a fertile hybrid between D. anglica and D. rotundifolia. There could be some potential for the seedlings to germinate and look much different from 'Ivan's Paddle'. Did it flower, Jim? Could seeds have dropped back into the pot? Would almost think they should show some characteristics of each of the original crosses more strongly. I am trying this now to see what germinates and how the offspring look. Gonna name a selections 'Some one Else's paddle' :P

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...26.html#paddle
    The plant is easily propagated by leaf cuttings and division of the clumps it forms over time. Although able to produce at least a few good seed it should not be reproduced this way. Because of its strange hybrid nature it does not breed true. Growing the plant from seed should only be done by a grower wishing to develop new forms. This can be interesting and produce some odd leaf shapes, but many seedlings must be raised as most will be less vigorous. If the seedlings you may produce are worth cultivar status, perhaps you will want to name it ‘Your-Name-Here Paddle.’ I continue to select progeny in hopes of increasing its fertility and genetic stability, although I am very pleased with one particular second generation clone.
    This plant will go dormant if you let it. It could be "semi-dormant" as D. rotundifolia is prone to.

Due to heat trauma (closed room, hot day) my plant died down and grew rounded leaves for several months before resuming growth of the paddle shaped leaves.

I've also seen greenhouse grown examples grow rounded leaves.

For the most stability grow 'Ivan's Paddle' under lights.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    D. 'Ivan's Paddle' is a fertile hybrid between D. anglica and D. rotundifolia. There could be some potential for the seedlings to germinate and look much different from 'Ivan's Paddle'. Did it flower, Jim? Could seeds have dropped back into the pot? Would almost think they should show some characteristics of each of the original crosses more strongly. I am trying this now to see what germinates and how the offspring look. Gonna name a selections 'Some one Else's paddle' :P
    Yes and yes! It's quite plausible that I have a generation of seedlings replacing last year's plants. They were indeed outside for several months and I do feed them the freezed dried bloodworms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again,
    Just keep in mind that you have a large leaf attached to the shrunken plant, so at least the top plant of the middle clump has to be D. 'Ivan's Paddle', which looks identical at this time to the others in the clump, so I'm guessing they're all still D. 'Ivan's Paddle'.

I think that if you keep feeding them and giving them strong light, that they will all size back up again.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast