What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I successfully germinated about 10 burmannii seeds December 1 through December 10. As seedlings are, they were about 1mm in diameter. Almost two months later, the burmannii seedlings have turned red, but do not seem to be growing - they're still 1mm diameter.

1. They are in 1 part peat to 1 part sand mix in a water tray that I do not let dry out. Soil stays damp to very damp, but not soaked.
2. They live under a very strong fluorescent light (125W/600W equivalent) at 6500K and 9000 lumens - the seedlings are about 8-9 inches away from the light source.
3. Humidity, if it matters, hovers around 35%-50% typically.
4. Temps are around 73/83 night/day for lows and highs.

All my other plants (spatulata, capensis, dielsiana, and several non-sundew like N. ventricosa and temporarily until it warms up outside - a Lowe's-rescue Darlingtonia Californica) are all thriving under the same light.

Any ideas? Or is this size for being two months old normal? I haven't seen new leaf growth in over a month, which is primarily what worries me.

I've found that feeding seedlings greatly increases the growth rates...

Can you tell which ones I 'fed'? ;)
IMG_2056.JPG_595.jpg

Granted these are D. capensis seedlings and have the reputation of growing like a weed but D. burmanii has responded the same way for me, so has D. intermedia. I used dried bloodworms that I dip in water to moisten up then place on leaves for digestion.

Yes, you have to feed them, especially annuals. Drosera growth related to feeding has been well established in a number of published studies.

Just put a small pot of damp peat moss outdoors on the ground for a couple days. It will get infested with springtails. Shoo away any fungus gnats, bring it indoors and put it near your seedling pots for another couple days. The springtails will infest those pots and feed the seedlings for you. Let the pot of peat moss dry out which will kill any fungus gnat larvae that may have hatched.

It's tough when they're 1mm in diameter to not overfeed them.

Crushed betta pellet bits it is. Here's hoping. :)

I wonder if dried blood worm pieces would be a better choice; I think betta pellets are more "concentrated" and may not be the best for seedlings? I'll rinse off the betta pellets tomorrow if so, to prevent overfeeding them. I lost an adelae plantlet this way once, don't want it to happen twice.

I'd try the NoN method but it's winter here and all I would get is a frozen pot with snow on top of it.

Thanks guys.

Only feed one leaf at a time. If using fish food or bloodworm lightly mist after feeding (improves digestion). Clean off anything left over after a few days.

I believe Aaron uses the beta pellets and he has had just a much success with them. I dont see one being better than the other, it's just the first thing I ran across and it was cheap. As NaN mentioned cleaning is helpful to prevent mold from building up but I have left seedlings uncleaned with no ill effects.

Back