Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosophyllum winter problem

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'd say there is your problem. Now I am very new to growing these (you can see my topic here but I've done a lot of reading.

12 centimeter is about 4 3/4" and that's waaaaay too small. And that mix is way too wet as well. After my reading I ended up going with 1 part sand, 1 perlite, 1 vermiculite, 1/2 part pumice, and 1/4 part peat. You can see that mix is by far dryer. To go along with that, I've used an inner terra cotta pot of 6" (15.24 cm) inside of a 12" (30.5 cm) terra cotta pot, These sit in 1" (2.5 cm) of water.

I'm not sure what my suggestion would be at this point since these things are said to HATE any root disturbance. But honestly I don't see how the plant will live long term in that pot/mix. If it were ME I think I would have the best chance at success by finding a terracotta pot about the same size as your plastic one, soaking that pot over night. Then the next day, turn the whole media ball over in your hand, remove that plastic pot, put the terracotta pot in its place and turn back upright. Then have a larger terracotta pot ready and a mix similar to the above to fill the outter pot with and pot the smaller pot inside the outer pot (see my topic for pictures of this).

If you decide to try and ride it out, I think I would NEVER water that media, and only lightly lightly mist the plant, maybe try it every 3 days or so. From what I've read, in the summer time there is zero ground moisture for these plants in their natural habitat. And it is said they get all of their water from morning dew that falls on the plant. But, whatever you decide to do, please keep us up to date and GOOD LUCK!

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! I haven't gotten this species right yet! I have erred on the side of TOO dry, as well as one too many transplants. Adnedarn knows what he is doing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raised one to bloom, then I, too, over-watered it. I am hoping my seeds germinate.

I hate to say it, but it looks like your plant is on it's way out.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Wow, I'd say there is your problem. Now I am very new to growing these (you can see my topic here but I've done a lot of reading.

12 centimeter is about 4 3/4" and that's waaaaay too small. And that mix is way too wet as well. After my reading I ended up going with 1 part sand, 1 perlite, 1 vermiculite, 1/2 part pumice, and 1/4 part peat. You can see that mix is by far dryer. To go along with that, I've used an inner terra cotta pot of 6" (15.24 cm) inside of a 12" (30.5 cm) terra cotta pot, These sit in 1" (2.5 cm) of water.

I'm not sure what my suggestion would be at this point since these things are said to HATE any root disturbance. But honestly I don't see how the plant will live long term in that pot/mix. If it were ME I think I would have the best chance at success by finding a terracotta pot about the same size as your plastic one, soaking that pot over night. Then the next day, turn the whole media ball over in your hand, remove that plastic pot, put the terracotta pot in its place and turn back upright. Then have a larger terracotta pot ready and a mix similar to the above to fill the outter pot with and pot the smaller pot inside the outer pot (see my topic for pictures of this).

If you decide to try and ride it out, I think I would NEVER water that media, and only lightly lightly mist the plant, maybe try it every 3 days or so. From what I've read, in the summer time there is zero ground moisture for these plants in their natural habitat. And it is said they get all of their water from morning dew that falls on the plant. But, whatever you decide to do, please keep us up to date and GOOD LUCK!

Andrew
    Thanks a lot for the long answer and tips!
    For now, the state of the plant went worst, it broke in the middle so i dont have the chance even to repot it...
    Next time i will pay more attention to the soil and watering. By the way, do you know anyone who is changing/selling Drosophyllum seeds here?

I read the same, and i had luck to see the plant in a natural habitat. It was summer ,and the soil was extremely dry. They live maximum some kms from the ocean, because the fog that is condensated in the morning, they use to water themselves.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that That is really cool that you have seen the plant in nature, did you happen to take any pictures you could share? I don't know of anyone that has seeds for trade that can ship to Portugal, sorry
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, i toke some pictures, Im going to open a new topic for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12