What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of the S. Americans

No, not one of my graomo's :p

By special request and with a big thank you :hail:

D. ascendens:
D_ascendens.jpg

D. villosa:
D_villosa.jpg

Sorry for image quality, just did a point and click

Av

Wow. :-O :0o: While I have some ascendens that might be as happy as yours (maybe) - my happiest villosa is not there at all. Since they're in the same pots - I guess that rules out media issues or pot size...

What's your current photoperiod & distance to lights?

Any other ideas?

i have recently gone back to my summer photoperiod, so for the last couple weeks they have been 18/6, before that they were at 14/10 or maybe 12/12,

same pots, same media... distance to light is ummm they are on my top rack so i would say 10-12" would be a good estimate.

umm monthy trichoderma... ummm humidity is 70-80%ish, temps are 60ish at the moment, constant gentle airflow... daily top waterings

other then that, i dunno Ron...
Butch

Fine looking plants! I wish I had your lighting!

i have recently gone back to my summer photoperiod, so for the last couple weeks they have been 18/6, before that they were at 14/10 or maybe 12/12
Wowza - that's some photoperiod! I've recently been increasing my hours also - although from a much lower level. I believe it was A. Fleischmann who mentioned something about villosa / ascendens doing poorly in his winter greenhouse because the plants want more hours of light ..... Some of my plants are edging toward looking a bit better recently - maybe the hours are helping...
same pots, same media... distance to light is ummm they are on my top rack so i would say 10-12" would be a good estimate.
Hmmm - some of mine may be the same distance - but considering the lights, your's are getting a much higher intensity. IIRC, NaN has some growing outside on his deck...
umm monthy trichoderma... ummm humidity is 70-80%ish, temps are 60ish at the moment, constant gentle airflow... daily top waterings
Daily top watering?? Wow - I'm just finishing doing my weekly top watering - hmmmmm Very helpful - thank you sir....

With the way they're growing, I wouldn't be shocked to see you post about a flower stalk.... :0o: Your pics also do an excellent job of highlighting some of the differences between the species - much easier than differentiating ascendens & graomo...

Wow, that is just incredible! I think those are the most vigorous-looking South American dews I've that are being grown indoors in the US.
I'm flat-out embarrassed at my attempts to grow these spcs.

Wow, that is just incredible! I think those are the most vigorous-looking South American dews I've that are being grown indoors in the US.
I'm flat-out embarrassed at my attempts to grow these spcs.

Wow, what a compliment... and coming from you CP Im truly honored.
Thank you everyone for such kind comments...
Av

oh wow! That's absolouty fantastic!! Truly amazed!! I would really like to make a south american dew set up, and get some nice ones. And hopefully someday, have some dews as good as yours! (I wish) :p :-D

Wow. O.O

.....With the way they're growing, I wouldn't be shocked to see you post about a flower stalk.... :0o: Your pics also do an excellent job of highlighting some of the differences between the species - much easier than differentiating ascendens & graomo...

Youre good Ron, look what I noticed this evening ;)
The ascendens is indeed sending up a scape
D_ascendens_flower.jpg

and when you have a graomo and ascendens side by side they definitely have their diffs, one big thing I notice is the underside of the newly forming leaf is much more pubescent on graomo
D. ascendens leaves seem more linear and have a longer petiole region whereas the graomo seem more eliptical with a very short petiole

graomo
D_graomogolensis_lg.jpg

D_graomogolensis.jpg

compared to ascendens
D_ascendens_lg.jpg

Also, notice how red the graomo is compared to the ascendens, even though the graomo is a good 24" from my light while the ascendens is about 12"

maybe not enough to make a positive ID, but probably good indicators....Im sure there are plenty of variants

Av

dang butch. that graomo is all about the sexy....

...and when you have a graomo and ascendens side by side they definitely have their diffs, one big thing I notice is the underside of the newly forming leaf is much more pubescent on graomo
D. ascendens leaves seem more linear and have a longer petiole region whereas the graomo seem more eliptical with a very short petiole
Within a few days after you posted this, a Brazilian supported your observations over on CPUK (seems they found a new location for D. graomo).
Samoied said:
Yes, the underside of the D.G leaves are very hairy. The new leaf shoots bear hairs with a silver color very light-reflexive that resembles very much the plants of some populations of D. tomentosa. Other than that, the leaves seems to be smaller, more fleshy and bear a smaller petiole than D. ascendens. The tip of the leaves seems to be more "pointy" too.

Within a few days after you posted this, a Brazilian supported your observations over on CPUK (seems they found a new location for D. graomo).

That is very cool on many levels, thanks for the heads up Ron... :)

Av

spectacular mate...I missed this topic...wow!! I love the pic quality as well. very very nice!!

that's just incredible Av! Keep up the great work. I'll try to post a pic of the backside of a leaf tomorrow

It's VERY nice that you have finally found a way to tell these guys apart!
I finally got the guts to take some leaf cuttings since my baby looked pretty good this weekend.
The leaves on my plant were harrier than I had previously thought- it seems that when I let them go a long time without feeding they get quite red and I think the white hairs show up better that way.

Here is a full shot of the backside of a leaf:
Graomogolensis_leaf_backside_hairy.JPG

Can't wait to spread this species around. I think everyone should have a Grao.

I wouldnt want to base anything on one leaf but that certainly looks red, pubescent and elliptical to me... ;)
Plus, I think I remember your source and I know it's pedigree

They are certainly a beautiful species
Av

D. ascendens flower
D_ascendens.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Av

beautiful!!

Thanks D,

but now that it's started.... it wont stop flowering, and its obviously exhausted
it's sending up the 4th inflorescence

Av

Back