What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gemmae rising

uphwiz

jimmy
all the gemmae that have germinated , are now raising up and away from the soil and some are drying off , and im loosing quite a few :-(, should i have planted them or is this normal, i just laid them on the surface.
is there a fix for this or am I going to loose them all ?:blush:

Check for gnats or see if you used good clean soil mix.

no gnats and this is th soil i always use for my sundews , this is just my first attemp at gemmae should they have buried a little, or is just on top of the soil OK.
Thanks for responding Marius,
most of yours are ok but i have a few from other resources ,they aint not so happy ,

Do you use the tray method? I would recommend using the tray method for the ones that are rising to keep them moist.

On top of the soil is where they should be placed.
You sure they get enough light? Try to post a photo.

Hi Marius,

I had no idea that it was you behind droseragemmae.com! I purchased a whole bunch of gemmae from you this year! :)

Too bad you were all out of citrina. I'd love to get some from you at some point.

On top of the soil is where they should be placed.
You sure they get enough light? Try to post a photo.

One website says to push the pointed end in to the substrate. Yeah, good luck finding the pointed end on the tiny flake gemmae like Lake Badgerup.

If the radicle isn't penetrating into the substrate I sometimes give it a helping hand with a fine pair of tweezers.

Keeping most species moist and humid helps survival greatly until the roots get established. Either keep the water level at least 2/3rds the way to the surface of the medium or cover the pots or both.

Which website?
Actually the pointed end of gemmea will be oposite to the end where the root will form, on many species...so ,depending on the specie, you may not do them any favors by placing them with the pointed end in the soil.
Better yet...try to find the pointed end of microscapa gemmae.:-O

Brokken, i hope they grow well for you so far. Citrina plants didn't make many gemmae this year...at least was the first to flower. The flower is nice but the plant is ugly!

Mine are doing the same Im not too worried though I think the root pulls its self into the mix. As others have said keeping them moist is important. They germinate faster that way as well.
Here is a pic of Drosera lasiantha I could try pushing it into the soil but I think I would rather leave it alone it should know what its doing??

kinabalufan

I have had some roots do that. I agree, and just let mine do their thing. The plant have always sorted it out by the time they get a few true leaves.

I would recommend you keep it humid until then, though, and well lit.

How about simply adding more sand around the plant?

Jim, that is the only safe way to do something, if you really want to, at that stage...just add more soil around the plant root. As said, they will find their way but in case they don't and see that the root is turning brown and die then you have to keep it wet and burry it.

When I plant my gemmae, I fill a pot with 1peat : 1perlite, put a mm thick layer of 1peat : 1sand on top, spray the top lightly so that only a 1-2 grain thick layer of sand is left on top, put the gemmae on that, and mist them lightly every day until I notice evidence of a root hitting the peat layer..and this is using the tray method.

Back