Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: regia from seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far so good, 21 seeds (close to 100%) germinated and the first true leaves are starting to appear. Should I think about repotting them now while they have hardly any roots to disturb or should I leave them longer? Its starting to get really cold with temps at night getting down to 10 degrees C (50F) will they go dormant if it gets too cold?

My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arent they found in highland conditions? im sure they will be fine.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm sure the media you're using will work well for them. But if you're going to transplant, now is the time.
    Regia should only go dormant in higher temps above the upper 70s or 80 degrees F
    In cooler temps is when it thrives (unless, of course, it gets to 32 or something obviously)

Are they on a windowsill? It seems they might be able to use a bit more light.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Amphirion and Cplantaholic. They are in a little growth chamber made from a pippette box which is good for getting things to germinate, now Im opening it up to give them more light and lower humidity and they will go on the windowsill. I think I will prick out some of them which will give the ones left some space as well. I dont really expect all 21 to survive but I will try. I think Dunedin is cool enough for them any way so high temps wont be the problem. I will post again with a pic in a month or so unless they all die of course.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a good idea to me.
    I look foward to the update! I'm sure they won't all die by then lol

Happy Growing!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd, Stewart McPherson writes in "Glistening Carnivores" in respect to D. arcturi, D. stenopetala, and D. regia:

Due to the more extreme conditions of the elevated habitat, these species do die down for the winter similar to the species of the northern hemisphere. For example, D. regia does not produce a true winter resting bud, but it does produce a small, compact rosette of leaves that are greatly reduced in size. These leaves protect the apical bud in essentially the same way as the resting buds of the species of the north. (page 138, Red Fern Natural History Productions 2008 hardbound edition)
    My "H" and "C" clones both shrink down in the winter and grow huge in the summer. During the Dog Days indoor temperatures (Fahrenheit) are in the mid 70s at night and mid-high 80s during the day.

The "C" clone woke up a few weeks ago and the latest leaf is about 8 inches long. It looks like the leaves will get up to 12 inches in the summer. The clone "H" was dividing like crazy (up to six growing points now) before shrinking for the winter. It's just beginning to wake up. I hope it's done dividing and will resume growing although it looks like there's a new offshoot forming.

Lois has experience growing these from seed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey NaN,
    So you grow these indoors in mid 80s, and have no problems it seems...
    I tried exposing my 'Big Easy' to 85F temps and that is when they shrank into the bud, which has oddly enough been described to the tee in that excerpt you gave, although Stewart refers to it as a "winter bud". All that I have read previously has described D. regia as a summer dormant sundew.

Last summer I was able to keep my 'Big Easy' and medium-sized seed-grown Regia from droseraguy (not 'Big Easy' form) looking good all summer in the basement, where temps reach a max of 75 degrees F normally, with a 8-10 F drop at night. I also heard from quogue that he shared the same experiences as me.

What are your "winter" temperatures? Mine are doing very nicely right now from 58 F at night to 65 F in the day
    Also, what media/ pot size are you using for yours?

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a number: I read that too, and thats why I asked a while ago about temp. Maybe I should have kept the seed until spring here but I thought nice seed like that should be sown and im not good at waiting. I was just told the seed came from 3 clones crossed, so there is a good amount of genetic variation. In New Zealand most D regia plants would be from tissue culture so I think its pretty important to get more DNA involved. I pricked out 5 seedlings ok yesterday and they survived overnight, so thats a good start. I will just have to keep them growing as long as possible and hope they dont go into dormancy too soon. My D arctaurii outside are starting to go into dormancy now but its is warmer inside and seedlings do different things to adults sometimes.
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast