Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: regia from seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regia from seed

Iv just managed to get some Drosera regia seed to germinate
    Iv heard these are very tricky to keep alive. From my tragic experiance with an adult plant I found they dont like high humidity, is this true for seedlings? what humidity should I keep them in. Also I guess they dont like high temps either. At the moment they are in a pippette box (like a little growth chamber) this has very high humidity which is great for getting seed to germinate. The first seed germinated in 9 days. Should I leave them like this until they get a true leaf or open it up now? I realllllllly want to suceed with these, as regia is truely the king of Drosera and seeds are not so easy to get. Its coming on to autumn here too which is an added complication, as they need a dormancy but im guessing they wont need that the first season.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck. I'm on my 4th try for D. regia seedlings. They grow well for me up to the 1-2.5" stage then I lose them. It doesn't seem to matter what media I use or temps or humidity - each time they get roughly to that size, they start to go downhill. I've even had them come back from the roots but die again.... Getting an established plant or even plants from root cuttings has been much easier for me..... I'll be following this thread to see what recommendations others provide....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this species. I have the "normal" type originating from Peter D'mato and the Big Easy type. The Big Easy is much more difficult to grow.

These plants like to die back to their roots if it gets too hot or too cold. I thouhgt I'd lost the Big Easy, but I hadn't!

My best advice is to give it cool tbs during the winter (because it can tolerate it), and NEVER THROW OUT THE POT. Until you're sure it's dead.

If I were you I'd put the seedlings in pure LFS and give them some highland temp cycles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the germination Kinabalufan! the following info will pertain to you too

Ron, are you using a 2-inch pot for these seedlings too? I haven't tried growing them in that small of a pot, but I have seen they are a bit sensitive to water when I have the water level too high-even when they're in a 6 inch pot. I was lucky enough to get some seedlings from droseraguy at a cp gathering, and they've been doing well for me in a 4 inch pot. They're about 3 inches tall now, and seem to shrink down to an inch if they aren't fed for an extended period of time. I'm using a 50:50 peat sand mix with a bit of perlite. This is grown in my basement where it's semi-cool (never above 75 F in the summer) and around 62 F in the winter.

I also grow the 'Big Easy' in Joseph Clemen's recommended mix- the following is a quote from an old message he sent me:
    Those that I had best results with were in undrained quart-sized plastic pots. I put a two inch layer of pre-moistened shredded redwood bark (actually from Sequoia sempervirens trees) in the bottom of the pot and filled the remainder with a 50/50 mix of LFS/shredded redwood bark and topped with sprigs of living Sphagnum
    This mix has worked quite well, but I think that peat would work quite well too, since my seedlings have done well in it so far. Not sure how well this mix would work for plants that aren't already established though...
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    I love this species. I have the "normal" type originating from Peter D'mato and the Big Easy type. The Big Easy is much more difficult to grow.

These plants like to die back to their roots if it gets too hot or too cold. I thouhgt I'd lost the Big Easy, but I hadn't!

My best advice is to give it cool tbs during the winter (because it can tolerate it), and NEVER THROW OUT THE POT. Until you're sure it's dead.

If I were you I'd put the seedlings in pure LFS and give them some highland temp cycles.
    I've got one that appears to be dead. I'm not holding my breath for it... but I'm not tossing it yet, either.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd because 'Big Easy' gets it's name because Joseph found it easy to grow:

Under my cultural conditions this clone Drosera regia ‘Big Easy’ has been just that, big and easy to grow and propagate. It produces leaves a maximum of 23 cm (9 inches) long (Figure 6). It has never gone dormant, never flowered or even initiated a flower stalk. Several times I have managed to propagate it from leaf cuttings floating in jars of pure water (see detail in Figure 3). It readily initiates buds and plants on any and all pieces of severed root. I have propagated hundreds of plants this way and have traded them widely.
    - http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...3_89.html#easy

Does seed from this clone share the same characteristics?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seed is from two different clones as it doesnt self but dont know if either is the "big easy" type. I can probably manage red wood bark as Sempervirons grows well in Dunedin but I cant see how undrained plastic pots would work as Im guessing damping off (phytophera) might be what kills seedlings. As least if I do kill them all I will know Im in good company.

[/QUOTE]Quote:
    Those that I had best results with were in undrained quart-sized plastic pots. I put a two inch layer of pre-moistened shredded redwood bark (actually from Sequoia sempervirens trees) in the bottom of the pot and filled the remainder with a 50/50 mix of LFS/shredded redwood bark and topped with sprigs of living Sphagnum[/QUOTE]
    My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i didn't do the undrained pot thing...and had great results so that definitely isn't necessary
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast