What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will my sundews grow back?

Last season I bought my first batch of carnivorous plants. Including a D Dicatoma, D Marstons Dragon, and D multifida extrema. I left all of these plants outside year round in santa clarita, Ca aka Los Angeles California. They have died back completely through winter and now that it's warming up again I wanted to see what the probability is that they will grow back. I just recently transplanted all of them into a huge minibog. Now the Marstons Dragon is already rapidly growing, but as for the others there is nothing on the surface, but when transplanting I noticed they did have some roots still although I tried not to disturb the roots so I didn't see much of them.. What are the odds that these plants aren't completely dead?

ive read around alot that its called dormancy, and that most of the time the plants will grow back when there done practically hibernating. some require less time and some more so. just be patient.

as long as you did not leave their pots completely dried up. chances are very good that they will come back. if not from the original growth point, then from the roots.

Agreed with what has been posted. My 'extrema' was exposed to a 13 degree night and many 28-32 degree nights and it died back to the roots. As soon as temperatures were consistenly above 75 though it showed 2 new growith points. My money is on that they are still alive. Just water, give them sunlight and be paitient.

Phil

Phil said it all. If incase the roots are still alive. Give it as much sunlight as possible, it takes a lot of energy to come back from roots. Good luck.

Back