What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need D. intermedia and rotundifolia repotting advice

I need to re-pot some D. intermedia and rotundifolia that survived the winter here.
What is the recommended soil?
I may be able to plant in live sphagnum moss.
I also have most other cp soil mixes.
I have a hard time even with capensis, I am a Drosera killer:blush:
Thanks,
Zero

I find straight long fibre sphagnum moss works best. Just fill the pot up with handfuls of the moss and a dressing of chopped stuff on top. Live stuff is good but will overgrow the plants, especially the D. rotundifolia. And they'll get lost in the moss when dormant. Dried long fibre sphagnum is likely to come to life in most cases. Constant trimming is in order either way.

Peat moss and sand will work but I would keep it on the peaty side (60-75% peat moss).

Hi Zero, i use peat and perlite 1:1
I dont use live moss in species that needs to go dormancy

i have intermedia potted into a couple of mixes, peat/perlite and peat/sand both in a 50/50 ratio....
pure live LFS would also work well considering that these species (especially rotundifolia) live perfectly, and very happily in this.

here are some rotundifolia i saw last year up here in WA...
BogandRonsplace026.jpg

BogandRonsplace014.jpg

BogandRonsplace016.jpg

Regardless of your media choice, I've found one thing that helps is to have a water level that is higher than normal with the temperate sundews. While this isn't necessary, mine really seem to get kicking when I have about a 3/4 inches in the tray compared to the 1/8-1/4 inches I keep in my other tub. They seem to keep their leaves longer and "dew up" more.

That's why I prefer more peaty mixes when using peat moss. D. intermedia benefits from having at least the crown being submerged now and then. It is after all called the water sundew. That's also why I prefer sand over perlite because perlite will float and get stuck on the dew.

I wouldn't be surprised if given enough time Drosera intermedia would evolve snap traps like Aldrovanda or Dionaea. Fat chance of that happening with all the habitat loss caused by man.

While it's true that D. rotundifolia is found mainly in Sphagnum bogs I like to see my plants, not moss.

thanks for the info.
i'm going to try a few different substrates.

Back