What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Friends,

A few years back I made an interesting cross between Drosera filiformis "Florida red form" and Drosera tracyi"white flower, antho-free". Finally after a long wait, it has finally flowered and shows some interesting characteristics of both parents involved. Introducing; D. "Dreamsicle".

858695691_oBAFD-X2.jpg

Close up views of hybrid D. "Dreamsicle" and both parent's leaves;

858695677_bXR66-X2.jpg

858695724_F3U77-X2.jpg

858695657_Vfe7y-X2.jpg

858695717_CdfQH-X2.jpg

And now the parent's flowers;

858695670_2CWCg-X2.jpg

858695700_nu5jv-X2.jpg

And finally, the flowers of D. "Dreamsicle". The extra wide notched petals are typical of the D. tracyi antho-free parent and the pink overall blush is clearly from the D. filiformis "Florida red form" parent. The hybrid's flower also shows a white tinge in the center further proving the successful crossing between the two.

858695584_Gdakr-X2.jpg

858695632_r7DWZ-X2.jpg

858695643_DccZQ-X2.jpg

Propagation of this plant is restricted to leaf cuttings only. EDIT; D. "Florida Fury" is now being registered as the cultivar D. "Dreamsicle"

Happy Growing! Brian Barnes.

Last edited:
Great! I like it, but it looks like it would be a little to tall for me.

beautiful!! congrats on the new hybrid!

Alright Brian, more questions! Starting with: How are you distributing the plants? AND Is this a grex or a single-plant cultivar? AND Does 'Florida Fury' require a winter dormancy? My filiformis "Florida All Red" clone never goes dormant, even after freezing temps, but did this trait carry over to the hybrid?

kinda off topic, but when did tracyi get upgraded to species status? last time i checked (albeit 4 years ago) trayci was considered a variant of filiformis. im okay with the " x " though since a similar approach was used to create and name D x 'california sunset'

kinda off topic, but when did tracyi get upgraded to species status? last time i checked (albeit 4 years ago) trayci was considered a variant of filiformis. im okay with the " x " though since a similar approach was used to create and name D x 'california sunset'
I only know that Barry calls it that now... I don't know his reasons, though.

Congrats on you new cross.
Looks beautiful

Nice going, Brian.
Always wondered when somebody would try to do that, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Back