User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can I Get Constant Dew Production?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Can I Get Constant Dew Production?

So, I have a varied collection of sundews (Binata, Aliciae, Rotundifloria, Filiformis 'Tracyii' and 'Florida Red', Venusta, Spathulata “Pink Flower", Capensis “Typical”, Capillaris, Adelae, Intermedia, Roseana) and I have difficulties giving them the right conditions to produce dew.

I read on Jacob and Jeff's site that the secret is light! However, it seems when I give them the light my Sarracenia receive, the dew-producing stops. Dew producing definitely stops in low-humidity too.

Before my collection recently expanded, they produced dew under a sealed greenhouse (made with packing tape, chopsticks, and saran wrap), and under the bright, direct light.

Since putting them in a portable, shelved greenhouse, they haven't produced any dew at all. I mist the inside of the greenhouse atleast twice a day as well.

Any help is appreciated. I live in Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote is not to mist the dews, because the glue created by the plants is sensitive and constantly misting the leaves of the dews will dry them out.

From what I've read, just give them plenty of light, but make sure the temperature is not too hot. However, Jacob gives his plants full sun and it occasionally gets into the high 90s where he lives, and the dews still thrive.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my first sundew (D. Intermedia) I put it on my windowsill because it was really windy that week and it got really dewy from being on my windowsill, but when the weather turned good again I put it outside and all the dew dried up from the sun and the heat outside was 20 degrees hotter, but got it back eventually, yours probably needs some time to acclimatize to the brighter light and heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with master grower every time you change conditions it could potentially shock the plants. So you might need to give them time to recover. once they are in good conditions (plenty of light enough water and the right humidity) they should have dew all the time.
    My Growlist

My Webpage with photos I took On Mt Kinabalu

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People confuse dew with water and think that they need a misting or more water. That is not the case. as stated above, dew production is a function of adequate light. A weak / stressed plant stops producing dew and if all of a sudden has too much light on it, it it gets stressed out and sometimes dies. A stressed plant's leaves usually, but not always, don't regain their dew but the new leaves of an adjusted plant should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mist the sundews, but the sides of the greenhouse, to help create humidity.
    Some of the dews are quite established, which is why I'm so confused, it can't be "settling in" stress.
    For awhile, it was just my Spathulata and Roseana, and they were in one of those mini-bog humidity dome kits. They were beautiful, and my Spathulata was producing new plants out the wazoo.
    Since expanding, however, into the saranwrap contraption, and now in the greenhouse (spending a few months in each), they'd be dewy some days, but more often then not, not. The spathulata also isn't producing offspring like it used to, but its pretty much constantly flowering.
    I think the biggest problem is the intense Florida sun, which is also very drying. It gets hotter in the greenhouse, too, but if I leave it unzipped, the humidity is low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than your Adelae (maybe Roseana - not familiar w/ this one), most of your dews should be able to grow outside in a bog in Florida through at least 9 months of the year - & most all year. A lot of your plants grow in Florida naturally. However, they would need to be acclimated to live outside the enclosure - which can be difficult....

The above is for Northern FL - where do you live?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The deep south, where unfortunately, CPs are generally no longer seen.

And with the change of climate, Florida is hotter and dryer than before. I, as a native, am fully aware of the lack of rain and stifling heat so soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast