What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera caledonica

I was looking around at other drosera and found one that I had not seen talked about here. So I did a search and the most recent post about them was 2005 so I was wondering if anyone here is still growing D. caledonica or if the name has been changed and now it goes by something else.

There's a D. neocalidonica.

IMG_0063.jpg

Thanks jim, is it a harder one to grow? I am interested in them as I take care of several types of new caledonica geckos both at home and at work. I was thinking that it might be interesting to place one in an exhibit with the geckos if they are not to difficult to grow.

Last edited:
I didn't think it was too difficult.... OTOH... it flowered and eventually died.

Well, I haven't uploaded my most recent pics yet, but I have these from March, a month or so after re-potting them into a live sphagnum mix (below). They've been pretty easy so far, but tend to prefer very moist conditions. While I'm using a live LFS mix, others have had success using peat: sand mixes as well, so they seem quite adaptable. I had a very small one besides this that crapped out on me when the soil became too dry. So unfortunately, it will be quite a while before my remaining "baby" sizes up and is propagated...

Drosera_neocaledonica-1.JPG

larger image- http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/neocale...ocaledonica.JPG

Another grower on CPUK grows some very impressive D. neocaledonica.
He informed me that they grow well even in the warm (30 degrees C) months but that they seem to do best in the spring when the temps are more moderate (that is when they flower for him).
They also have about an 8 degree C drop in temperature during the warmer months.
Also, he also mentioned the plants in that pic are being grown in a 2.5-inch pot.
He has had the most success using a 4 peat: 1 silica sand mix.

What I'd do is try establishing tropical D. intermedia 'Cuba' or the form from Mt. Roraima first, to see if they can make it. Then if you have success, I think you could introduce D. neocaledonica without any issues. Otherwise, it's just hard to get ahold of D. neocaledonica these days, so you'll have some time to kill before you aquire seed or plants, I'm guessing, which is perfect for starting some tests :)
Let me know if you want some seed from the 2 species I mentioned, and I may be able to help you out.

Back