What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagation??

What does everyone recommend as the best way to propagate sundew clippings? I've got a bunch of different kinds of dew clippings and I really want all of them to take.

my greatest success with dew pullings/cuttings has been in straight water. just sit em in it, doesnt matter if they sink or float.

I just lay mine on top of very wet Spagnum Moss, never let the moss dry out, not even a little.

what is the success rate for both of you?

very high i would say, every leaf i have tried has sprouted several plantlets...

Here's an FAQ on the water process - although it appears that the originator killed the pics. For most common dews, you will get multiple plantlets per leaf. For some of the tougher dews, plantlet production will be lower. I believe Aaron has good info on propagating dews somewhere..... ahhhh, here it is...

LFS propagation works but requires more vigilance as the LFS grows over the leaves and production is typically lower.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try pure water, I only had about a 70% success rate.

It depends. Some dews propagate very easily. Some don't. I've used peat and LFS to propagate dews, although I've had more success with the peat.

-Hermes.

Which sundews do you plant to propogate?

id go with water method. i couldnt get it to work due to the leaves rotting. so then i tried washing them real good in water with a bit of bleach. (rinse really well afterwards) ive never seen such good results. i got like 10+ plants per leaf (filiformis leaves)

Interesting... Never thought to try sterilizing before. I must investigate!
~Joe

PS - I agree with Kris and the others that, so far as leaf cuttings go, water seems to be the best overall. I like to move my propagands to LFS or peat once the roots start exploring. Really high light and slightly underwatering the LFS can help slow it down enough to prevent smothering the babies.

Which sundews do you plant to propogate?

D. filiformis "Florida All Red"
D. madagascariensis
D. 'Marston Dragon'
D. multifida f. extrema

I see growth on the madagascariensis leaves I put on wet LFS!! Nothing from the ones in water yet.

i got success in using sphagnum moss, so far still got none in water and peat, cutting in peat tend to have mould growing while in water it just rot like that....

Thus far I've had great success using both methods, water and wet LFS. Though I am seeing quicker results with the cuttings on wet sphagnum.

This is 'Marston Dragon' cutting after being in water for a couple weeks.
Can I cut this into divisions to make multiple plants?

100_4667.jpg

Last edited:
Yup...
Chop away!
Just be gentle!

How are the cuttings going? Pic's please ;)

I'm glad to see that they're sprouting! Have fun trading them off, because fork-leaved sundews gain size very quickly. :-))

They are growing like weeds!

100_4901.jpg

100_4904.jpg

100_4902.jpg

100_4906.jpg

100_4903.jpg

Back