Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recurring anglica problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need a more open mix to me. I grow all my pings, and dew on the tray method. I have a 1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite (for the perlite haters you can replace with pumice, lava rock and APS) mix with the dews. The Ping mix is even more open with 1:1:1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite/pumice/lava rock. This prevents rot even in flooded conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    I've had the same experience with dews. I know a lot of people recommend the tray system with dews, but I've lost a lot of dews to rot. I'm not so enamored with the tray system as I once was. I no longer use it with pings either. The only plants I still use it with is utrics and (some) sarracenias.

-Hermes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dewy View Post
    IMO, from my experience it looks too wet and like it's rotting. I've found sundews for me at least don't like to be really wet, because indoors they have a tendency to get root rot. So if I had to guess I would say that might be the problem.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    Sounds like you need a more open mix to me. I grow all my pings, and dew on the tray method. I have a 1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite (for the perlite haters you can replace with pumice, lava rock and APS) mix with the dews. The Ping mix is even more open with 1:1:1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite/pumice/lava rock. This prevents rot even in flooded conditions.

I have tried a 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, lfs, sand, and perlite before as well as the one you mentioned, and while it helped some I still got rot or weaker plant growth. I've found with all plants that if you encourage an stimulate root development, the plant will be more vigorous and hardy than one that has a shallower root system. For example, my current vft have survived tap water when I ran out of rain water, and several months of tap water at that. Before it would kill them, but now they are very hardy and I see little to no ill effects on them. Thats why I grow mine drier, because it produces at least for me hardier and stronger plants. But as we all know, different conditions work for different people so whatever works best for you I think Fred has 2 problems being in that his soil looks like a mainly peat mix which gives little aeration, as well as high water tables encouraging the problem of root rot also.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the input people, I guess I will cut off watering for some time, and put it in semi-shade outside so it gets more light. I do have a tendency to keep dews well watered, perhaps this sp. in articular doesn't like it THAT wet. also, I will had that I am pretty sure this is a normal temperate form of anglica (it didn't have specific locality when I bought the seeds).

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    thanks for the input people, I guess I will cut off watering for some time, and put it in semi-shade outside so it gets more light. I do have a tendency to keep dews well watered, perhaps this sp. in articular doesn't like it THAT wet. also, I will had that I am pretty sure this is a normal temperate form of anglica (it didn't have specific locality when I bought the seeds).

thanks!
    What I would recommend is giving it less water, just keep the soil black so that its moist to the touch, but don't have it in standing water right now. Also, I'm not sure if it would be good to move it outside as that will shock it more, I would leave it where its at right now and just reduce the water amount. Hope that helps! Here is a pot of baby D. capensis albino that I grew several years ago, notice how the soil is moist but not wet, this is what you want to aim for.

My grow list/want list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's all this about rot? I keep most of my dews nearly swimming and they seem to love it.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exo, I do the same thing. I think the issue here is mainly light. In the first description, it seems that way too much light is being blocked. You should be able to grow them much better outdoors if you acclimate them very slowly.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have no problem growing other sundews, like pygmies, D. sessilifolia, capensis of course, prolifera or adelae. Yet these are the trickiest of my collection :S

I will cut back on water, and yeah probably keep it inside for some time. Should I put my pot under 4 X 4ft T8 facing that window? this is my winter setup, I removed my plants from it for summer since it was heating quite a lot in there (40gallon aquarium with glass lid).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Well I have no problem growing other sundews, like pygmies, D. sessilifolia, capensis of course, prolifera or adelae. Yet these are the trickiest of my collection :S

I will cut back on water, and yeah probably keep it inside for some time. Should I put my pot under 4 X 4ft T8 facing that window? this is my winter setup, I removed my plants from it for summer since it was heating quite a lot in there (40gallon aquarium with glass lid).
    I would definitely try to slowly increase the amount of light you give it, sundews love light the more the better. Also decreasing the water will help, because a sundew in distress like yours is already weak so fungus and root rot is much more likely to set in if it hasn't already. Keep the soil moist for now and update us in a few weeks to let us know how it does!
    My grow list/want list

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12