Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recurring anglica problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recurring anglica problem...

Hi everyone!

well I seem to have a young D. anglica going into dormancy, and I wonder what can I do to help it. here's a shot I took hours ago :

it's the one in the back, with browning leaves. the media is wettish (1'' distilled water), 1:1 peat/silica sand and all is facing a east-south patio. there are 2 glass doors + a mesh that filters the light. it is forming a dormancy bud (unfolded green leaves), some posts state it is caused by insufficient lighting. if it is so, what steps should I take to acclimate this stressed sundew to full sun?? I'm concerned about it since it's my last one of 10 other plantlets!

any help appreciated!!
    thanks
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think thats dormancy....
    i think thats dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my thoughts exactly. Did you recently repot them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meh I wish I could get a closer shot, my camera is crappy with macro shots...the center is still green! it is not all dead,the main leaves are dying atm, but the center is untouched, having a few leaves folded. I've had a few plants doing this before dormancy, so I had put them in the fridge and after taking them out new growth resumed as normal (i lost these plants after a hot spell tho...). For this last one though, well we are approaching July, I doubt a cold period is what it should get lol. At any rate, I could be wrong and it is dying whatsoever, but given the conditions it was in, I would be surprised...it had good light (maybe not full sun but!), pretty much a good media to grow in, and I buy distilled water from the store. the peat I use is pure canadian peat, bought in a bale ( not those plastic bags with advertisement, these are more likely to contain fertilizers).

any ideas what is happening here anyone?

massmorels- nope I didn't, it grows in the same pot since it was a tiny cute sprout!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, from my experience it looks too wet and like it's rotting. I've found sundews for me at least don't like to be really wet, because indoors they have a tendency to get root rot. So if I had to guess I would say that might be the problem.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen many temperate species make summer hibernacua, most commonly I have seen them in tropical forms of D. intermedia. With the few varieties of d. anglica I grow, I recall seeing similar things in the Hawaiian populations. My summer is different from that typically found in the Alakai Swamp on Kauai. I tend to be hotter, drier. Maybe they are responding to smithing similar. What populations of anglica are you growing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewy View Post
    IMO, from my experience it looks too wet and like it's rotting. I've found sundews for me at least don't like to be really wet, because indoors they have a tendency to get root rot. So if I had to guess I would say that might be the problem.
    I've had the same experience with dews. I know a lot of people recommend the tray system with dews, but I've lost a lot of dews to rot. I'm not so enamored with the tray system as I once was. I no longer use it with pings either. The only plants I still use it with is utrics and (some) sarracenias.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    I've had the same experience with dews. I know a lot of people recommend the tray system with dews, but I've lost a lot of dews to rot. I'm not so enamored with the tray system as I once was. I no longer use it with pings either. The only plants I still use it with is utrics and (some) sarracenias.

-Hermes.
    Same here, utrics and sarrs are the only plants I use the tray system with. I do put a small amount of water in my sundew trays but I give it several days with the soil drier/moist so that root rot won't occur. That is why my capensis kept dying, I had too much water in the tray and it was rotting from the roots. Once I tried it drier it really began to take off. I've noticed the plant that responds best to drier soil is vft. What happens is the roots grow deeper searching for more water, thus encouraging root development and giving it more vigorous growth. If you saw the picture of my pot of bigmouths, I believe thats the main reason they have grown so well. Try growing your plants drier Fred, I think it will make a big difference in the health of your plants.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast