What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everybody!
I took pics of some jars and would like to share them with you. I hope u like them:)

drosera natalensis 'Kwa-Zulu land, Natal,AF'
DSCF0019-3.jpg

drosera ordensis 'Lake Argyle, Kimberley, AU'
(a nice example of what happens if you use too hard gel. The plant on the left has difficulties rooting in the medium and the root stays on the surface. In comparison with the plant on the right, which rooted OK, she is underdeveloped. They usually shoot a second roothair to penetrate the surface, but sometimes it is better to help them, the weaker ones might not manage).
DSCF0009-3.jpg

drosera moorei
DSCF0022-1.jpg

drosera dielsiana seedlings
DSCF0023-2.jpg

drosera sp. Lantau Island young plantlets
DSCF0004-5.jpg

a young drosera falconeri 'Palmerston,NT,AU' seedling
DSCF0001-2.jpg

drosera ascendens 'Itarare,SP,Bra', propagating fast, time to replate
DSCF0012-2.jpg

huge specimens of d. tomentosa var. glabrata "Serra do caraca, MG, BRA'
DSCF0016-2.jpg

drosera broomensis x ordensis
DSCF0010-2.jpg

germination of drosera arcturi 'Gelignite Creek, TAS, AU'
DSCF0018-2.jpg

I've just started trying this. I'm having the problem of my cuttings not floating. I've read that doesn't really matter.. but have you found that water levels make a difference?

Cuttings not floating? The gel should be strong enough to be able tu support the explant and keep it in contact with the surface. Explants will be drowned if completely submerged. Seeds can germinate on or under the surface.

extremely nice specimens you TC's there. VERY nice. :0o: Those ascendens and tomentosa are huge!! I guess you'll be making lots of money from those guys!

Thanks for sharing... and I have a couple of random questions. Is TC really expensive? because I'd love to try this someday, I love multiplying my plants. :D

Woah, success! You better divide up those D. tomentosa and ascendens, tho :p Keep us posted, especially on those D. arcturi seedlings!

Very nice! I'm having trouble just keeping my medium sterile without any plants in it. Do you use a commercial or homemade mix?

The gel should be strong enough to be able tu support the explant and keep it in contact with the surface.

I assume you mean rooting gel.. the one key ingredient I'm missing. I'm using straight RO water at the moment.
Would you mind taking a moment to explain exactly what your process is?

I use home-made mix. I am a chemist so thw chemicals are not a problem ( I mean micro and macro nutrients). Vitamins I extract from B-complex tablet from pharmacy, myo-inositol I buy at the health fitness store.
I use reverse-osmosis water, but distilled is fine too.
Most droseras dont need rooting medium (with auxines), all depicted jars have just gel with nutrients in it, no hormones used. Drosera roots spontanneously without induction most of the cases.

I assume you mean rooting gel.. the one key ingredient I'm missing. I'm using straight RO water at the moment.
Would you mind taking a moment to explain exactly what your process is?

It's tissue culture, not water propagation. A gel with sugar, nutrients, minerals and hormones holds a sterile plant material which multiplies rapidly.

Back