What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capillaris Seeds

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
What's the best way to germinate D. capillaris seeds? Does anybody do a cold stratification?

All I have played with do not seem to need a cold stratification. I have not fooled around with northern populations so they might be different. Also depends on if they are the giant forms or the small rosetted forms. If they are giant forms they seem to germinate better in low humidity conditions. Hot, bright, and on the dry side. Keep them uncovered. No bag for them. can't say with the small forms.....

LOL! They came with plants you sent.

lol. then easy to say. just surface sow and put into a tray with the other plants. Will soon germinate and take over your collection......

:)

MTF

LOL! That batch of seeds I already sentenced to the fridge, in a capsule of water. More scapes arising!

Guess what! The seeds that I cold stratified just started germinating. Normally, they do their own thing, months later. Cold strat. works!

I just put my seeds on top of 1:1 peat & perlite mix in a 4" pot with water levels half way up the pot. Stuck the pot in my dew tank, and a few months later I've got this:

100_5118.jpg

100_5115.jpg

None of the capillaris seeds I got from you, Jim, ever germinated until I removed the plastic bag covering. :p

I dunno if it's a "giant" or "small rosette" type of capillaris that Mach mentioned though...

The Tate's Hell Swamp "Long Arm" that I've been spreading around will not germinate covered. JimScott was one of the first I sent plants to. No stratification required either. Stratification will not harm the seeds or chances of germination, just take up 4 or so weeks of growing time. It depends on the locations, some need stratification some don't.

Murphy's First Law of Biology:

"Under any given set of environmental
conditions an experimental plant behaves
as it damn well pleases." - Scientific American

Hmmmm...

Back