What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, yesterday I finally got some spare time so I took the oportunity to take some quick shots of some plants. I hope you like them:)

roridula gorgonias cuttings started growing
DSCF0018.jpg

heliamphora minor divisions started growing
DSCF0025-1.jpg

heliamphora tatei var. tatei
DSCF0024.jpg

drosera falconeri coming out of dormancy
DSCF0001-5.jpg

drosera derbyensis falling into dormancy
DSCF0003-4.jpg

drosera intermedia clumps (Canada)
DSCF0004-3.jpg

drosera intermedia (Slovakia)
DSCF0016-1.jpg

drosera anglica (it is interesting fact that all my hardy drosera go into dormancy for about 3 weeks after deflasking and then start to grow normally)
DSCF0022-3.jpg

drosera filiformis var. filiformis (with hitch-hiking anglica and peltata)
DSCF0012.jpg

drosera filiformis 'All red' (non-dormant dorm)
DSCF0044-1.jpg

drosera burmannii (with some d.tomentosa var. glabrata scattered around)
DSCF0006-2.jpg

drosera sp. Pretty Rosette
DSCF0005-3.jpg

drosera x tokaiensis and spatulata (dumping site for my TC where i pour the water from deflasking)
DSCF0008-2.jpg

drosera madagascariensis (probably the oldest plant in my collection)
DSCF0043-2.jpg

drosera admirabilis
DSCF0030-1.jpg

drosera tomentosa var. glabrata
DSCF0049.jpg

drosera graminifolia (trying to survive the heat spell, not too dewy at the moment, but still putting up new leaves)
DSCF0056-1.jpg

drosera roraimae 'Cerro Adua'
DSCF0037.jpg

drosera roraimae 'Gran Sabana'
DSCF0038-1.jpg

drosera villosa
DSCF0033-1.jpg

drosera ascendens 'red'
DSCF0021-1.jpg

drosera graomogolensis
DSCF0059-1.jpg

drosera schizandra
DSCF0027.jpg

drosera schizandra.. omg I want some!

Very nice, they all look great!

haha I loled at the madagascariensis, she seems to yell '' sky's the limit!!''

great plants and collection! tell me, what are your conditions for growing anglica?

cheers

Wow - Theyre good plants and pictures!

Great job cultivating!

I love your collection. May I ask how you provide a temperature drop for your south american dews?

awesome plants.

Wow... you always have some very, very excellent plants! I particularly like the TC medium dump. Don't you get any problems with mold?

:drool: Those are awsome!!!!

You have a very impressive drosera collection!

What drosera is that to the right of your H. minors? They kind of look like d. schizandra but I am not sure.

Also, do you have any tips for falconeri cultivation? Especially just before dormancy, during dormancy, and when the plant is coming out of dormancy?

Hi there!
Thanx for nice comments~!

@FRED: drosera anglica I grow here in Slovakia outdoors all year round (it is a native species). I observe that they grow the same in humidity dome and outside. After repotting or deflasking it is better to keep them in higher air-humidity environment. D. anglica grows the best in semi-shade with few hours of direct sunlight (preferably morning or evening sun). She does not take air/substrate overheating very well. When I had the plants in hot spot receiving 8 hours of direct sunlight per day, the plants went to summer dormancy.

@DEVON: south american sundews are not extremely sensitive to heat once their root system is well established/stabilized and they receive higher air moisture levels (40% hot day to 80% cool morning). In the summer heat the night temp drop is only about 5C in my conditions. I grow them in the apartment right next to the open balcony door (on the floor the ai is cooler) with no access of direct sun (T5 lights).

@SILENCEIS GOOD:No problems with mold in the TC dumping site:) I dump there species I feel sorry to trhow away but dont want to spend valuable space on them (I dont have a GH). When these sundews are deflasked, the medium is over 4 months old and almost all the sugar is spent by plants. A medium just with salts, no sugar, is not very attractive for mold.

@DASHMAN: drosera falconeri enters the dormancy quite rapidly in comparison with other lasiocephala sundews. In addition to that, it does not form dormant bud but dies completely to the roots and disappears from the surface. At this stage I learnt that it is not a very good idea to let the substrate to go bone-dry, especially for smaller pots and low air humidity. Instead, I rather keep the substrate dry on the surface but with traces of moisture down below and I keep the air humidity high. This combination ensures the survival during long dormancy period (`4-6months). When new leaves emerge, I water with tray method. Feeding helps to develop happier plant:)

The small sundew babies next to the H.minor are very young adelaes:)

Great job! Lovely plants, ill try and see if I can get a few. Cape sundews ftw =D

Thank you for the input klasac!

thanks for the answer, that might help me with my anglica! ;)

Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful collection, as well as your gowing tips!

Back