What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

propagation pics

thez_yo

instigator
I took cuttings of intermediaXcapillaris, some fork-leafed sundew, and paradoxa (pullings) leaves a good 2-3 weeks ago. I put them in water, and here's what's sprouted out for me!

fork-leafed:
P7080062.jpg

intermediaXcapillaris:
P7080063.jpg

paradoxa:
P7080064.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! How long were they in water for? Do you keep them full submerged or just floating?

Nice! How long were they in water for? Do you keep them full submerged or just floating?

3ish weeks or so, and they were fully submerged below the water line but floating at top of it.

Nice, I want to try that someday.

How long are they in the water after they sprout before you move them to media? I just moved this one to media today. It showed growth just this week. And since it has growth from head to toe, am I able to cut it into segments to have multiple plants, or will it die if I cut it down into bits?

D. 'Marston Dragon'

100_4667.jpg

I have no idea because this is the first time I'm done it! :-))

I'm likely to wait til they sprout roots, or just give 'em away in a flask of water. I totally don't need more plants..

How do you do the whole leaf-cutting thing? Do you just put the leaf on the soil and give it the proper conditions?

I've just started doing it and tested with two methods. I just cut 2 healthy leaves off, 1 I put in a vial of water (or covered jar) and put the container upside down under bright light. The bottom of the container allows more light to get in than the lid does obviously.
And the other leaf goes onto WET sphagnum in a water dish. Then covered to keep the humidity up.
Both methods have given me 85%-100% success..

For me, I cut the leaves off near the base of the leaf and dropped them into a container of water. The container of water is clear, and gets sunshine in/through it from about 6pm-8pm.

Woah, so many little seedlings! I only get 1, it's weird. I don't know why.

Woah, so many little seedlings! I only get 1, it's weird. I don't know why.

It depends on species of sundew and what part of leaf is taken. amount of plantlets and and where they develop seems to vary greatly. Up to the point that some will only produce on the very end of the petiole where it attached to the stem......

Actually, my D. Capensis, D. Adelae, D. Intermedia, etc. all grew at the tip of the leaf and didn't grow anywhere else, even if i left them in the water for 2 months.

Back