What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some low-light tolerant Drosera?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Howdy. My Drosera Graminifolia isn't doing so well. It's producing new leaves with clear tentacles, but no glue. I bet a million dollars it's because it's not getting full sunlight (it gets a couple hours of direct sun a day).

What would be a good replacement for this sundew? I have a six-inch pot with a Heliamphora Minor, Brocchinia Reducta, and Drosera Intermedia "Cuba" all growing and thriving in this pot.

I would really prefer a thread-leaved sundew. Thoughts?

D. adelae is your best bet.

If they're doing well, time to try the 3rd sister .... :-O

Prolifera is actually struggling. The leaves are getting smaller and smaller and no dew is being produced. I think the humidity is not high enough, the light is too high, or the temperatures are too high.

Any others besides Adelae or Prolifera?

Drosera are all light hungry plants happiest outdoors in full sun or indoors on a rack with much artificial light. Otherwise they struggle, get leggy and are prone to fungal attack. I've experimented with growing Drosera spatulata in low light from a window and although far from typical it hung on for over a decade in an apothacary jar watered seldom and sealed. Probably any of the South Africans would hang on as well, but they won't look happy. That's just life.

This is just on the grow rack:

Picture039-1.jpg

I've never been able to keep D. prolifera happy without lots of artificial light or at least a few hours a day of direct sun. D. adelae is slightly more tolerant but only by a hair; I tried a pot in indirect light this spring and the results were discouraging. I think Tamlin hit it on the head - sundews are plants that want light.
~Joe

Back