User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi guy's a little advice please...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Dewy ...

But this should be ok in the later on to have in that style of tub... with Spag...?

Many thanks Noddy
    Last edited by Noddy; 07-20-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    OK Dewy ...

But this should be ok in the later on to have in that style of tub... with Spag...?

Many thanks Noddy
    Yeah it should do fine in that tub of spaghnum, just give it a few weeks to adjust before you put it in there. As far as ID, it looks like D. aliciae to me but it's hard to tell.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I ask what would help, are we talking about the Top One or the next one down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of them look like D. aliciae to me, but until some new leaves come out it will be hard to know for sure.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2nd pot looks identical to what I got from a local garden centre. Did the tag say Cresco Carnivora by any chance? If so it's definitely D.aliciae, since that's the only drosera they stock apart from capensis.

I'd check the soil if I were you though. Mine came potted in your everyday garden soil, not peat. I rinsed it all off from the roots soon as I got them and planted them in a 50:50 peat/perlite mix, cut off the flower stalks and put them in a sunny spot.

Fast forward 3 weeks later and they're both sending out new leaves, dewing like mad, and one of them is actually dividing D: *knocks on wood*

Sphagnum should be fine, just make sure to trim it occasionally so it doesn't choke the plant.

Good luck, but they're really hard plants to kill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cunka

Yep came with a blue Carnivorous Mix tag but does not ID the plant, but there is a name of Cresco Carnivora...on it...

It's just that if they are the same plant why do they grow differently... As I would have thought they was different plant's...

Many thanks Noddy

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Just been to there site they have ...

Drosera aliceae

Drosera capensis 'Alba'

Drosera capensis

It's just the top one I am not so sure on as it would not supprise me if they swapped the tags as I had that before... with a Nepenthes alata it was nothing like it at all... hence why I ask...

I would tend to agree about the Drosera aliceae on the 2nd one down.

If I treat this in the same way as VFT over the winter everything should be ok yes...

I have never kept anything in Spag over winter so I am a little green on that on so to speak...

Thanks Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant the 2nd pot, yes Can't be sure about the first picture though, sorry, although it very well could be more of the same.

When it comes to overwintering, South African droseras are tropical, meaning they do not need hybernation, and don't tolerate frost.

As such, I'd definitely advise against overwintering them the same way you would a VFT or a Sarra. If you plant them together with your VFTs and whatnot, they will be just fine outdoors throughout the summer, but you will definitely need to move them indoors during winter. South or east windowsill works good from what I hear. Either use a separate pot for them, of if you insist on planting them together with the VFTs, replant them in a smaller pot come autumn (just take them out along with a good clump of soil, don't disturb the roots) and move them indoors when temps drop below 15C or so.

Happy growing

Edit: VFTs will be fine in sphag outdoors overwinter, just trim them down to the ground when they go dormant and put a layer of mulch on top (pine needles work good I hear) before the first frost. How deep is the container?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the photos are the same, Deosera aliciae. I would agree with dewy, plants appear stressed. Your tub idea might be good short term, but over time if there is no drainage, salts will build up and affect the health of the plant. You might get around this by flooding the tray to the point where the plants are submerged, let stand overnight then pour off the excess, when they become more vigorous, repeating monthly. Alternatively, you could punch holes in the tub (if there are none) and use another similar tub for a reservoir. Warning signs are the appearance of algae and opportunistic mosses. Live sphag is a good choice of medium for this sort of culture, if there is no drainage. Please keep us updated as to your success or failure, and best of luck with your plants!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12