What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long do Byblis Liniflora seeds take to germinate?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I bought myself some Byblis Liniflora seeds a few weeks ago, and I planted them about two weeks ago. So far, there's no growth in the pot.

How long do Byblis Liniflora seeds take to germinate?

I just planted some today. What kind of seed setup did you go with? I didn't really have the full scoop on what route to go with. So I stuck with the dew seed scenerio.. 50:50 peat & perlite, tray of water, covered for added humidity, nice and close to the grow lights.

I've heard it can take a few weeks. They do well in a mix of 2 parts sand to 1 part peat.

Mine germinated in as little as 1 week!

10 days. Did you do the 10% bleach solution thing?

Forever..... they never germinate.

Did nothing to them, placed on soil mix of equal parts perlite, LFS, and peat moss.... nothing

Treated seeds with bleach solution and used same soil mix....... nothing

Forever..... they never germinate.

Did nothing to them, placed on soil mix of equal parts perlite, LFS, and peat moss.... nothing

Treated seeds with bleach solution and used same soil mix....... nothing

Key is getting fresh seeds, that aren't crushed. I think it's almost best to send them in a little box because of how easily they can crush. If fresh, I find they germinate very easily in 7-14 days. My last batch I planted, I got 26 out of 40 to germinate within a 2 week time period. They have always germinated very successfully for me, when fresh. However old seeds or crushed ones won't.

Key is getting fresh seeds, that aren't crushed. I think it's almost best to send them in a little box because of how easily they can crush. If fresh, I find they germinate very easily in 7-14 days. My last batch I planted, I got 26 out of 40 to germinate within a 2 week time period. They have always germinated very successfully for me, when fresh. However old seeds or crushed ones won't.
I tried seed I collected from my plant that did not germinate, how much fresher can I get? LOL

I tried seed I collected from my plant that did not germinate, how much fresher can I get? LOL

Haha well it generally needs about a 2-3 week period to sit in dry storage, have you ever tried that?

I sprinkled some over one of my minibogs a few weeks ago - I'll let you guys know if anything pops up out of it. It doesn't look promising yet though. I only ever have luck with seeds if I sprinkle them in a pot of something growing in the same cultural requirements already (somehow I over or under water if not).

The seeds prefer warm to hot conditions to germinate. Usually, I sow them in a covered container and leave them under bright shade. Not all but the first few will germinate within a week.

B. liniflora does best during the hot and dry season here so I sow my seeds in March and by June-July, they start flowering and produce a lot of seeds. Each year, I collect the seeds to sow the following year i.e seeds are usually a year old. The best germination rates I've got is prior soaking with 1% bleach.

I sprinkled some over one of my minibogs a few weeks ago - I'll let you guys know if anything pops up out of it. It doesn't look promising yet though. I only ever have luck with seeds if I sprinkle them in a pot of something growing in the same cultural requirements already (somehow I over or under water if not).

That's what these are:

Picture005-11.jpg

Picture004-16.jpg

Back