What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trimming Drosera

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
Just curious if it is recommended or harmful to the plant. I still have some dead leaves on my binata and capensis from when it first arrived and was wondering if it would be a good idea to get those out of the way or just let the plan do its thing and have them die back on there own.

I would remove them, sometimes fungus or mold can grow on the old dead leaves, so it's best to remove them if possible. But after awhile you can just let them be, especially if grown outdoors I wouldn't worry about the dead leaves. I leave most of the dead stuff on my plants the natural way, but if I see mold on a leaf I will cut it off. So as long as you don't see mold or anything on the dead leaf, you can either cut it off or let it be whichever you prefer and fits into your schedule!

If you are waiting for a 2nd opinion, Dewy is correct.
Be sure to cut, and not tear them off.

Good Luck!

They're in a terrarium but so far it just looks like normal browning. Thanks for the help!

I third that.

My Rule of thumb:

If it is dead and brown, cut it down.
If green or red, let it grow instead.

Works most of the time...

I third that.

My Rule of thumb:

If it is dead and brown, cut it down.
If green or red, let it grow instead.

Works most of the time...

That sums it up, well!

thanks! does the same go for nep pitchers?

Yep pretty much the same for nep pitchers, once they really start to dry up and shrivel I cut them off. Usually if the pitcher is about halfway brown/shriveled, I cut it off. And it makes the plant more attractive as well! Just cut the pitcher off at the top of the tendril, leave the leaf.

I agree.
Once a leaf starts browning, I cut it off. I've never seen adverse effects from doing so.
As for pitchers, once more than the lid is brown, I cut it and the tendril off.

Thanks again...looks like I have some trimming to do!

Back