What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera trinervia in South Africa

Hi,

some of you may already know my pictures from my trip to South Africa in September last year from other forums.. As i have not yet shown them here, i think it is worth posting them here too. I feel, some of the members may not yet have seen them. I will start my series with Drosera trinervia.

Drosera trinervia is most likely the most common sundew in southafrica. It grows almost everywhere, where some water is present. I am not sure if all the locations really drie out during summer. I suppose some of them stay wet all year long. We only had one day out of 14 free of D. trinervia (on that day we made a boattrip to the white sharks, so no Drosera at all!). Even at a visit in a Lion Park we could find some of them on the gras between the cages. Drosera trinervia is so common, that i did not even bother to take pictures of them at the end of the trip, so i can't show pictures from every location we have seen them.

Some of the pictures have been taken under harsh conditions (no sunshine, rain, fog, wind and coldness), so they are not always the best pictures. I hope you like them anyway.

IMG_0351-trinervia.jpg

IMG_0416-trinervia.jpg

IMG_0420-trinervia.jpg

IMG_1234-trinervia.jpg

IMG_1257-trinervia.jpg

IMG_1343-trinervia.jpg

IMG_1702-trinervia.jpg

IMG_1873-trinervia.jpg

IMG_1960-trinervia.jpg

IMG_2442-trinervia.jpg

IMG_2623-trinervia.jpg

IMG_2838-trinervia.jpg

IMG_2859-trinervia.jpg

IMG_4405-trinervia.jpg

IMG_4423-trinervia.jpg

IMG_4521-trinervia.jpg

IMG_4671-trinervia.jpg

Christian

I've received seeds of this species a couple times, now, and for the life of me, I couldn't get them to germinate. Nice coloured plants!

Quite a bit of reigonal variation in this species. I like the Table Mt. plants!

Yeah they seem to be all over the place

The plants themselves seem to vary quite a bit...it may be a function of the amount/quality of light. The small colony of plants I'm growing, labeled from Stromsvlei Kloof (white flowers)... normally grow the narrow, more strap-like leaves as in the Darling (no. 4 from the top) and Bains Kloof (no. 8). Yet at times they will grow a more cuneate form leaf such as the Table Mountain group.

I'd like to try different conditions but this species seems to be a bit touchy and will go dormant or die off later in the growing season if too much of a change is made. Now that I have seed again (after two years and didn't give it all away this time) - If I can get another colony or two going I can experiment.

Hi,

yes, that's really a very variable species! This one is really a good indicator for other Drosera species. At the beginning of the tour we have taken pictures of each plants we found. Later on, we couldn't see them anymore and have almost always just used them as indicator. I remember the following phrase: "Here is trinervia, where are the interesting plants?" ;)

Drosera trinervia usualy goes dormant during summer. That's their natural rhythm and they should be allowed to follow this cycle in cultivation, otherwise the risk of loosing them is very high. During dormancy, the pots should be kept just a bit wet. That's the most crucial time of the year for the plants. They root as fast as they dry out.

Btw, the correct spelling of the location is (i think) Stormsvlei Kloof.

regards,
Christian

I had two colonies and tried moving one to my outdoors growing area to see how they'd do with more sunlight. They almost immediately went dormant. This was mid-spring. I cut back watering and they eventually came back. They did not survive a second dormancy the next year.

Half of the other colony would go dormant in the summer and the other half in the winter. Although I cut back watering, I did not do so dramatically - I decided to err towards the side of the growing plants. That sorted out last year when the winter group did not survive dormancy. I let the pot dry out completely without water for 4-5 weeks, then just enough water in the tray to touch the bottom of the pot. The plants came out of dormancy with much more vigor than I've seen from the previous cycles. From now on I'm going to err towards the side of less water for the dormant plants.

Back