What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera alba in South Africa

Hi,

the next plant i want to show you is Drosera alba. We only found them on the Gifberg, but it is also known from a location in the Cedar Mountains (but we couldn't find them there). We found two forms, that are somehow different.

IMG_1855-alba.jpg

IMG_1867-alba.jpg

IMG_1871-alba.jpg

IMG_1883-alba.jpg

IMG_1892-alba.jpg

IMG_1897-alba.jpg

IMG_1917-alba.jpg

IMG_1932-alba.jpg

Interestingly, we also found some plants, that had light pink flower and that were smaller than the other ones we found on the plateau.

IMG_2022-alba.jpg

IMG_2024-alba.jpg

IMG_2026-alba.jpg

IMG_2048-alba.jpg

I hope, you don't mind me opening one thread for each of the species we found!

regards,
Christian

holy...WOW...i think i have a new favorite Drosera...gorgeous plants!!!! must have!

I agree, a beautiful species!

Beautiful plant! Reminds me of D. capensis (all red).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OPEN ALL THE THREADY YOU NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phill Mann did this to me back in the 70's when he visitied me here with a slide show of Aussie native Drosera I hadn;t seen much of those plants either. This one I have seldom seen and never good habitat photo's like this. Are you growing this species? I had seed of D. alba once but it was so rare I didn't attempt to grow it, just sent it off to the Atlanta Bot. Garden and to other researchers doing seed studies. If you are growing it, can you tell me anything about how you're doing it? I probably never will grow this species but I am curious.
Now I'm holding my breath for Drosera hilaris and D. remencatacea, LOL. You're the BEST Christian.

Alba means white or pale.....I'm assuming that it is a reference to the flowers because there is nothing white about that plant! AWESOMENESS :-O

Oh how I miss this wonderful plant in my collection. It was always such a beauty.

Hi,

yes, i am growing this species since this year, so i have not yet really much experience. At the moment, my plants are dormant and i really hope, they will continue to grow soon! I am cultivating it the same way as i do with D. cistiflora, that is large pots, a dry summer and cold an wet winters. So, fingers crossed, that it turns up again!

Maybe you can't notice from the pictures. The plants are growing in very thin layers of substrate. Most often only about 1-2 cm. They are often growing just on the fringe of stone islands, as can be seen here:

http://utricularia.net/sonstiges/standorte/saf_2009/IMG_1867-alba.jpg

This is very interesting, as the Gifberg is said to dry out completely during summer! So, the plants must have adjusted to that harsh conditions. I really wonder how seedlings can survive this!

Christian

Back