Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: pygmies dormant now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pygmies dormant now?

I brought in all my plants off the patio last week and put the two pygmy dew pots into a potted terrarium and now they've gone dormant. Outside they had feeding leaves and tons of flowers but now they're just stumps with white fur so I guess they went dormant??

Do I need to water them at all or stop watering while they're dormant and let the pots dry up totally?

One is D. scorpioides (not totally dormant yet looks to be on it's way) the other is D. placenta ssp. leioblasta

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm experiencing the same thing in about half of my collection. Some of them have obvious green in the crown, along with those stipules. Some just look plain dead. I'm not sure if those are dead or dormant. From what I read, we are supposed to keep them pretty much dry until summer is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stipule crown indicates dormancy. You want to keep them nearly dry at the surface, so no tray watering. I think having them in tanks might work against you, they are sensitive to mold at this stage and need air circulation.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two D. lasiantha plants recently flowered. Now they both look dead. D. androsacea looks rough, as do anything with allantostigma in it, roseanna, callistos, and a few others. In contrast, D. manni, D. helodes, anything with omissa or pulchella, carburup, badgerup,... all still look great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never used Tamlin method but i did read that some people are with great succes. It's just too much work for me and it would just kill me to move hundreds of pots to water them every 2 weks or so.
    I see no point of using it. If scorpioides go dormant they don't come back so it's best not to allow that. I keep all my plants in trays year round. In summer i let the top dry out a bit before i add 1-2'' of water in the tray. This way i weater them about once a week. Even if they are dormant they are ok if wet for a few days. You have far better chances in succesfully growing there if you don't let them go dormant then if you give them this dormancy period. In your case, i think it was a combination of temp and light intensity that changed and pushed them into dormancy. You should be able to grow these 2 sp wet all around.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, well they were outside in my CP tub in about 1" of water but the guy came and sprayed those bricks and for some reason instead of moving them back out with the rest I decided to put them in a terrarium. The scorpioides is putting up new leaves so I guess it's OK but the other is def. dormant. Nothing but little white fur columns (surrounded by hundreds of non dormant D. 'Jacoby' seedlings! LOL). I wonder if they go back outside if the placenta will come back or must wait til fall? I assume the placenta will die because I kill plants when they go dormant, generally I stay away from anything that does need varying care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark has a good point, dormancy should never be encouraged, and many species will do fine if you keep them wet. But, if you are keeping them wet and there are indications of dormancy onset, then the other protocol will serve. I lost scads of the summer sensitive species before getting the hang of things, so don't feel alone . If you sow gemmae of these sensitive taxa always aim for deep pots from the onset, that helps as does a higher sand to peat ratio, like 75-80 percent sharp sand in the mix. Reduced direct sunlight, surface dryness and good air circulation ahould bring them thru to gemmae season. Individuals may or may not return which accounts for why these rare species stay rare.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that gets me is that these plants are on a grow rack, right in front of glass doors, facing south. The temp varies between upper 60's and upper 70's, depending upon summer and winter and greenhouse effect and draft. In other words, it doesn't get hot where they are. It's essentially "room temp". I have read that summer dormancy is a function of heat. Are they really more affected by a 15 hour photoperiod than the heat? I should take a picture of what I am seeing...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast