What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera cuneifolia

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
There seems to be a lot of controversy going around regarding D. cuneifolia. What exactly is a true D. cuneifolia? I have a clone from another hobbyist that has been doing a lot of research on it. It's said to be either D. admirabilis or a hybrid between the two. Then others are saying it might really be D. cuneifolia. I for one can honestly say I have NEVER seen a D. admirabilis look anything like this grown side by side in my conditions. I may have some flower pictures available at a later date. I have to get permission to use them since they are not mine (but of the same clone in flower).

Thanks for any input,
Crystal

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

From about 3 years ago:

IMG_0069.jpg
D. admirabilis

IMG_0215.jpg
D. cuneifolia

I wish I had the camera I have now... back then!

Whatever it is- it's awesome. lol. Nice growing!
Has yours gone dormant yet?
That would be one factor that could separate this species from D. admirabilis, because my D. admirabilis (Ceres RSA, at least) is very heat tolerant and does well in conditions that would likely cause D. cuneifolia to go dormant.

Crissytal,

Have a look at Chistian's D. cunefolia in South Africa and you'll see the answer.
I would say this example of yours is neither D. cuneifolia or D. admirabilis although I have no ideas about what it might be other than it has that S.Af. look about it. Very interesting plant you have there!

The smaller plant appears to have "nerves" on the underside of the leaves.

If I recall correctly one taxonomist lumped D. trinervia and D. cuneifolia together. Rather huge for D. trinveria though.

Last edited:
Looking again at Christian's post, this looks a lot like Drosera curviscapa which I think is synonymous with Drosera aliciae, at least according to Dr. Schlauer's phylogeny. It looks like a good species to my untrained eye. Check out those photo's!

Hi,

i think, the plants are all well identified, although the last picture is a bit bad to be sure. If you can't see the differences in the rosettes, you can identify them easily once you see an opened flower. The flowers are so much different (as are the rosettes once you are used to it).

Btw, it is not at all a safe method to identify them wether they go dormant or not! There are plants in cultivation with the location datas from Silvermine and the Table Mountain. These are the only places, that this plant is naturally growing. I am growing both of them and can tell you, that they are different. The plants from Silvermine are much larger and usually die back during summer while those from the Table Mountain (Btw, Silvermine is actualy also part of the TM) regularly go dormant during summer. I can also confirm the differences in the size from the populations we found! At least my cultivated plants do not flower at the same time. There seems to be a time shift between 3-4 weeks (sorry, but i always forget which one flowers earlier, i think it is the evergrowing one from the TM). Intersting, isn't it!?

Some pictures from my cultivated plants can be found here:

http://utricularia.net/drosera/cuneifolia1.php
http://utricularia.net/drosera/admirabilis1.php

regards,
Christian

I don't suppose I will ever have any sense of these species ??? since this looks nothing like what I cultivated as Drosera cunefolia. My plants resembled the Table Mountain form, which is very different looking vs the Silvermine form. This is a good example of how limited previous experience can lead to a biased opinion. Many thanks for your input Christian!

Back