Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of hybrids

From the lab of the evil Dr. Frankensnyder: -

man-made Drosera x tokaiensis

Ivan Snyder hand crossed D. spatulata var gympiensis with D. rotudifolia 'Charles Darwin' in March of 2010. He has reported that the plants he is cultivating from the seed have already flowered. These plants are unique because they have white flowers where as all the natural hybrids have pink flowers.

the plants have yet to be treated with Colchicine to make them fertile polyploids.

D. belezeana - natural hybrid of D. rotundifolia and D. intermedia. These are tetraploids having been treated with Colchicine and should produce fertile seed if ever they can be made to flower
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, NAN! Great shots!

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooohhh, aahhhhh...I'd like to try the D. belezeana myself.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool achievement.

I think I recall Synder speaking at one of the BACPS meetings a few years back -- his use of colchicine, etc . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The part that sucks is you can no longer get Colchicine from chemical supply outlets. Last year the FDA granted exclusive (3 and 7 years) use to one drug company. Colchicine for medicinal purposes predates the FDA. Said company immediately sued all the other manufacturers of Colchicine and raised the price from 9 dollars a bottle (9 cents per tablet) to $465 a bottle. Corporate greed at its best. Colchicine is used to treat gout. Don't you love how altruistic drug companies are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Frankensnyder, that's rich, LOL! Ivan has had fun over the decades producing many unnatural hybrids to plague future generations of growers with taxonomic inclinations. I grew many of his creations, and there were some remarkably beautiful plants. My problem with all this is Ivan is shy to publish his babies at the cultivar rank so future generations might have access to the reference, while at the same time being very generous with his distributions. There will be much head scratching some 50 years from now after Ivan and those who knew him go to the big bog in the sky. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if a plant is worthy of large distribution, it is worthy of publication at cultivar rank. We need to take the long view when creating new hybrids, or distributing material prior to publication at whatever rank. This generation of CP'ers have access to forum discussions regarding new creations or collections, but this medium is electronic and has no assurance of permanence. Cultivar publications don't have to always be about a superior looking plant, it can also serve as a defining reference especially needed when distributions become exponential.

My favorite creation was his Drosera x obovata, which he made diploid so it was fertile. A stunning looking plant, and fascinating!

It should be noted that Colchicine is extremely toxic and will screw up your cell meiosis as well as the plants if even a bit gets ingested.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The part that sucks is you can no longer get Colchicine from chemical supply outlets. Last year the FDA granted exclusive (3 and 7 years) use to one drug company. Colchicine for medicinal purposes predates the FDA. Said company immediately sued all the other manufacturers of Colchicine and raised the price from 9 dollars a bottle (9 cents per tablet) to $465 a bottle. Corporate greed at its best. Colchicine is used to treat gout. Don't you love how altruistic drug companies are?

I hadn't heard that about colchicine, some of which I may still have on the shelves. We had used it years ago to experimentally induce polyploidy in oysters, in an effort to keep them in non-spawning state. The idea was to eventually produce oysters from "seed" that never went into a breeding -- inedible -- state . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There must be some provisions since Colchicine is used extensively in research such as yours or in horticulture to induce fertility or create more vigorous strains. Probably the hoops you have to jump through or fees you have to pay for permits puts it out of reach of the amateur horticulturalist.

Ivan said the stuff obtained from medical tablets didn't seem potent enough to be effective but fortunately one of his contacts had some of the reagent grade stuff left over.

Tamlin, Ivan has registered the D. x obovata as a cultivar 'Ivan's Paddle'. While it is a fertile diploid he says the seed offspring are usually so weak they are not worth cultivating. Dr. Frankensnyder has plenty of other horrors waiting to be unleashed from the lab.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...26.html#paddle
    Last edited by Not a Number; 09-15-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast