Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera arcturi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is about the best mine ever did. The survivors got a little larger the next year but would almost never produce dew. These were the giant form which supposedly was going to be elevated to species status. D. arcturi is supposed to die down to the root for dormancy but these would form a winter bud. I might have some pictures from the second year somewhere.

Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I recall there are different populations of this species at different altitudes. The more lowland populations are much easier and forgiving in their requirements. My seed took years of patient waiting before it germinated. Seed of this species can stay viable for decades even without optimal storage so don't throw out any sown pots!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall the giant form are found closer to sea level but much further south. They are supposed to be easier to grow being lowlanders but being further south means lower temperatures too.

Unfortunately the wind blew the pot off my balcony so if there was any viable seed left it either ended up on the pavement or the garden below.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enclose the picture of the "mini" form occuring on location of Gelignite Creek in Tasmania. The adult plant is 2cm in diameter.

Unfortunately, the 'giant' form from The Druids at Scotts Peak Dam of Tasmania is reluctant to germinate on nutrient medium. I think I will have to cold-stratify longer or play with hormones again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 cm in diameter? Man, I learn something new every day! Thanks for the photo of yet another incredibly rare plant!

GA2 seemed to encourage germination of my seed. along with a frozen stratification, but even then germination was not prolific, but my seed was a decade old. Perhaps one of the other Gibbrellic acid derivatives might work better, but I never had access to this. The GA2 I had came from sympathetic pharmaceutical company in Belgium after one of my Prof's made an appeal on an academic listserve. The chemical arrived at my door at the height of the Anthrax Scare here in the U.S. when all mail was being allegedly re-routed for terrorist activity evaluation....it arrived wrapped in aluminum foil, no note and it was delivered to my door without incident! (scratches head)!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This species gets the darkest red glands I've seen on any sundew.

The average of two functional leaves at any time makes it difficult to keep well fed in cultivation. The native habitat must be filled with billions of gnats or other small flying prey insects in order to grow in such a compressed growing season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12