Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics of drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaaaahhh! They're all starting to blend together.

Is it just me, or does your D. capillaris look almost exactly like D. rotundifolia, except more upright?

But still, im pretty sure i have d. intermedia. My plant is still small; the mother plant from the grower was considerably larger (for the cuban form). And its leaves are more oblong than as round as your Polk County form.

Interesting... someone should officially untangle the mess that we call the genus Drosera.
    Forget about the mundane and meditate.

Grow list:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124211

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi turkeypig,

Looking at your "Cuba" plant, I am fairly certain this is the long arm form of Drosera capillaris collected in Tate's Hell Swamp in Florida. This is a very perplexing form, so different from most Drosera capillaris. Drosera intermedia have much thinner and longer petioles and white flowers. Also, the minute hairs on the petiole and the lamina underside exclude D. intermedia which is totally hairless in that regard. If your plant has pink flowers, you can be assured it is Drosera capillaris, long arm form. This plant has tuned up with many interesting "SP" names attached, I just reviewed another going by the name "SP Belem", and have seen also others labeled as D. rorimae Pink Flower. This isn't very surprising as ID's can often get confused when you have such a prolific seed producing species as this is! The real mystery is why does it look so different? Is it a hybrid allopolyploid with D. intermedia that through mutation was granted fertility? It's been debated long and often!

Taxonomists are always working on sorting out the mess, at least in habitat! Orphaned plants in collections are harder to sort out. Right now my friend Dr. Gibson is off for a 3 month field study which should finish his PhD thesis on Drosera peltata across its wide range, an adventure he's been on for 2 decades. There is much work to understanding whazzit, meanwhile we do our humble best to keep each other straight. Thanks very much for providing an interesting topic!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Tamlin:

Yes i thoroughly agree. Intermedia is certainly more glaborous.
    I see your points now.
    But i'll wait for more opinions from elsewhere before i make my final decision on it.

And is that Dr. Robert Gibson of the land of Oz? I certainly remember him and Fuzzy (with umlaut) from that trip in 08. Good luck to him on that voyage for identifying D. peltata.

Now Im going to try to sort our the mess i undoubtedly have upstairs...
    Forget about the mundane and meditate.

Grow list:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124211

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12