User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: some petiolaris dew closeups....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Aaron, and your modifications are fine to the method. You just just elbow grease vs time to remove the nasties. When you talk of Utricularia weeds, I assume you mean U. subulata and U. lateriflora? Those were the only seedy species I encountered. I never noticed subby getting in the way of any of my sundews, but U. lateriflora used to be a problem because of the density of the lollons.

As an added comment, red cypress mulch at the bottom of the pot has powerful antimicrobal effects. It was always hard for me to get, and be SURE if you use it it's not simply some other mulch dyed red! Very good stuff!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jaf: hahaha. um...i really like to pamper my plants. but i think this is what should be expected of lanata, especially with high temps and intense lighting. lesser lighting will cause the plant to grow larger, and the red is not as intense. thanks very much. lanata is by far my favorite out of all the petiolaris dews. followed by falconeri and ordensis.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amph, just out of curiosity, what are the overall width/height dimensions of your D. ordensis, D. paradoxa, and D. lanata? I'm never good at finding species descriptions on google. I need to find out how to do that....

Tamlin- It is U. subulata. Oddly, they seem to grow most densely around the sundew roots and pop flowers up right next to the plant, which I find really odd. Flowers are sent up elsewhere, as well, but this happens especially frequently with my South American sundews growing in LFS. I think there were strands of Utrics on the roots when I received 2 of them, so the clumps are most concentrated around the roots in that case. Density used to be fine, but they just keep getting more and more dense with time. It wasn't a problem until I compacted the media, because the looser media did not stay as moist, and I also gave the pots had a chance to dry out a bit between waterings, which somewhat hindered Utric growth. But now I don't think the media gets a chance to dry out at all because I compacted the media so much, and my parents usually don't wait until the tray has dried before adding water, so they won't forget to do it...
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @amp its defenetely stunning, especially if its what to be expected!!! =]

at times i see plants on here that are amazing but its difficult to achieve the beauty. Lanata, from what you say, must be quite the aquisition for you. i tried browsing for it, didnt find very much. whats the price range for one?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This D. lanata went dormant and actually recovered from it. It flowerd and then died:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jim: now that's a shame...lanata's such a pretty plant. i dont let my petiolaris dews flower---i dont see the point since im not interested in making hybrids, and i only have one plant of each species.

@aaron:
    -ordensis is the largest out of my entire collection, with a diameter of around 3.5 to 4 inches across and reaches a height of around 2.75 to 3 inches.
    -paradoxa is a medium sized plant with a diameter of 2.75 to 3 inches and forms a stem, so technically it's around 2.75 inches in height.
    -lanata is the smallest in my collection, about 2 inches in diameter and 1 to 1.5 inches in height, although seasonally it does extend to about 2.75" in diameter max---i believe this has to do more with lighting levels, since my falconeri also shrinks under intense lighting.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely my favorite group of dews. The colors, the shapes, the challenges, the rewards within this group are truly amazing. I hope to someday grow them again and do it well. Here's some with some color (D. ordensis) ...

There are many more excellent pics available via search & a few other remnants in my growlist ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ron: those ordensis are looking good! how old are those plants? the one i got from homer is about 4 years old. i wish i could get it as compact looking as yours!
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast