What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Sundews

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
100_8214.jpg

100_8225.jpg

100_8218.jpg

100_8217.jpg

100_8216.jpg

100_8204.jpg

Why can't my Capensis look like that?!?

*cries*

Aaron... doesn't that first pic look like something you would post? That's just the way the camera perceived it. I didn't play with the color.

Yes, it does, Jim :) That is a very proliferative D. natalensis!
I love the nice sphagnum it's growing in as well.

Do ya think I can officially call it a colony of natalensis? I've posted in the ID forum before it was inconclusive.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Is 'Broadleaf' synonymous with 'Baines Kloof'?

Well judging by recent discussion here, if the crown is completely hairy so that there are hairs on the lamina on the back of the leaf (like the crown of my plants), then it is likely D. natalensis.

From what I've read, Broadleaf shouldn't be considered synonymous with Bains Kloof, but there are several forms of D. capensis from Bains Kloof in South Africa that do have a broad lamina. But Bains Kloof is just the location name.

D. natalensis itshall be and 'Broad Leaf' it will remain.

The seedlings are so cute!

How do you feed those seedlings? I notice some small plants at the foot of your Capensis in one of those shots, which I assume are Capensis seedlings. Definitely about 10x bigger than mine - I've got a handful growing that have stayed the same size for a month or two. You need to feed them to get them to grow, right? But how do you feed something so tiny!

Beautiful dews, BTW!

I use freezed dried bloodworms. I take a screwdriver and rotate it in the cannister until the food is pulverized into a powder. I put the food in a spice container and sprinkle it over the leaves.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

100_8288.jpg

100_8286.jpg

I fed mine today using a similar method. Bloodworms, had them in my (gloved) hand, and crushed and sprinkled them. Some big chunks got on the leaves. That OK?

Good to know! I always have extra blooworms when feeding the fishies.

Some bigger chunks land on the leaves and media. No biggie...

Checked them this morning and the leaves were covered with droll. It's great!

Back