What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating pygmy Drosera

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
SO - I have a nice set of four pygmy Drosera that I got in the mail about two weeks ago. I'm reducing the photoperiod in my grow rack down to about 9 hours a day to coax these things into producing their gemmae around November. Here's my question:

If I leave the gemmae alone and don't touch them, will they fall off of their mother plants and sprout themselves naturally, or do I need to collect them and work with them a bit to get them to sprout properly? I'd like to let my colonies fill out in their pots a bit, but I don't want to lose those gemmae by doing the wrong thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
What works for me is to take the pot and turn it roughly 135 degrees from vertical (As in, almost upside down) over a 8.5" x 11" piece of creased white paper, and hit pick at it with a tooth-pick until all the ripe ones fall.

Hope this helps!

i wish there was a video showing this whole process from start to finish

Thanks for those helpful links.

Can I sprout the gemmae I've collected in the same pots as the mother plants or should I do that in separate pots? Are gemmae like seeds in that they should probably be covered with baggies while sprouting?

You there: forget about the baggies!

GAH :puke:

You got me. I'm all about the baggies. Must have been something I picked up in college... :D

Anyway, so you don't need to make special humidity considerations for the gemmae when sprouting them?

Generally, I cover the gemmae until they sprout but I have had them sprout without any help from me. You can start them with the parent plants or in a separate pot. Whatever works for you. I prefer to start a new generation in a new pot.

Awesome. Yeah, i'd kinda like to fill out my colony a little more this year since they're a little sparse (fresh out of the mail box, basically). Next year I'll definitely start fresh.

You can even be fancy and make a pattern or spell out a name!

Wasn't there someone here that did that?

Why not go for the gold and make a Tibetan mandala in pygmy Drosera??
smandala.jpg

an old thread but....

Just how many pygmy Drosera gemmae should you add to what size pot?

Back