What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. venusta growth rate

About how long should it take for D. venusta to grow from seed germination to flowering? I have it growing under CFL. How wet should it be? Thanks in advance, Jack.

It's hard to say for different growers, but you should expect it to take at least a year and a few months to flower from seed if fed regularly. But this can vary a lot depending on conditions. I usually keep seedlings quite wet (raising the water level up for the first month or so) to make sure they don't dry out. Granted, I'm usually not around so I can't monitor them). But once you see germination, and they start establishing themselves, you can back off on the water.
You're likely going to get a lot of varying answers on this part, but a lot of it depends on how tall the pot is, the media you're using, the compactness of the media, etc. Other influencing variables can be whether or not you're using saran over the seedlings or not, which is also debatable, but is something I always do since as I said, I can't monitor my seedlings for up to 2 months at a time.

If using a tall pot, water levels will have to be even more elevated. But if media is very compacted, then you won't need as much water to keep the media surface moist...for example.

good luck with them!

feeding them will speed up the growth!

It's probably more their normal rate of growth when you feed your plants.

From seed to seed can take 6 months to 3-4 years, 1-2 years is probably average. it depends on the vigor of the individual plants and your growing conditions. Regular feeding is essential for seed production. If your conditions are marginal you may not get viable seeds at all.

I actually believe I'm just starting to see seedlings sprouting from May of this year in some of my pots...but they're pretty big (for seedlings) so I've been slightly blind ;)

They might not be D. venusta though...sure look like it.

[Edit: Species names are actually binomials (two part names), the first part of a species name is the genus, the first letter of the genus is always capitalized, even when abbreviated. The second part of the species name is called, the "species epithet" and it is always written in lower case letters. Both the genus and species epithet must be written together before you actually have a species name. In formal scientific writing they are both written in italics or underlined, when italics aren't possible.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back