Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Drosophyllum Media Mixture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far from my experience, 4 parts decomposing granite to 1 part peat works the best. Maybe more peat would be in order? I don't know. Anyway, cover the top with granite chips so it looks good. I'll have to post pictures, this granite media looks 300x better than the peat/perlite...I DON'T reccomend perlite. It floats when top-watering and makes a mess. Stick to the more dense materials.

Naturalized dewy pine sending up 3rd, technically 5th leaf now. My biggest plant has 6 leaves, working on a seventh, and about 2 inches tall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a fairly recent composite picture of my collection at ~4 months old!:

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stewart McPherson was passing through LA so a group from the LACPS took him to dinner where he gave a brief presentation (on Nepenthes in the Philippines). He also donated to the LACPS library a copy of his latest book "Carnivorous Plants and Their Habitats" vol. 1&2. I borrowed vol.2 since it covers the glistening carnivores.

Regarding Drosophyllum lusitanicum he writes:
    "In Spain, Drosophyllum predominantly occurs in substrate that overlies quartzite sandstones and other sedimentary rocks types; all are very well drained yet chronically deficient in most essential minerals and nutrients. Contrary to most publications, Drosophylum does not grow in substrate overlying limestone (Jan Flisek, pers. comm.). In most cases, the substrate is purely derived from sand or sandstone and contains very little organic matter. Drosophyllum prefers acidic soils ranging from pH 4-5, but can also grow in strongly acidic to more or less neutral soils (pH 3.6-7.0;Adamec, 2009). Although the bedrock may sometimes consist of sandy limestone, the superficial layers of supporting soil contain little soluble calcium."
    So much for gypsum, crushed coral, limestone etc.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decomposing granite works well! So do 14" pots. Much better than 10" pots. All my losses minus 1 were out of 10" pots. The regular mix is OK, but I lost every single plant in a 10" pot filled with it (3 total).

I'm hoping to get more seedlings (why aren't they sprouting?) and fill the yard with 14" pots. I have my 4 remaining 10" pots in a different place. You can't water the different sizes at the same time...that's just begging for disaster. One is over, the other is under watered.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SDCPs: Extremely nice plants!

Exactly what soil are you using? Mine are growing well so far in 10" pots with a Droso mix of peat/sand/perlite/pumice, but only my first year for these and getting addicted. I am looking for seeds now to sow in much bigger pots (thanks for the info on your experience with smaller pots) and wanting info on other soil mixes that work well from someone who is using it successfully. What time of year do you sow your seeds? Do you leave them outside to germinate or inside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, awesome plants! The fact that you mentioned that all your losses were in the 10" pots has me a bit worried, since I planted mine in a 10" pot. Mine is tall though, not a regular 10" pot, so maybe that will remedy whatever problem yours had. I have my fingers crossed.

I'm growing mine in an equal mixture of horticultural sand, perlite, black volcanic rock, and vermiculite, with a few handfulls each of peat and sphagnum moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love drosophyllum. I am insanely jealous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y'all are going to have to buy my book when I come out with it

Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    SDCPs: Extremely nice plants!

Exactly what soil are you using? Mine are growing well so far in 10" pots with a Droso mix of peat/sand/perlite/pumice, but only my first year for these and getting addicted. I am looking for seeds now to sow in much bigger pots (thanks for the info on your experience with smaller pots) and wanting info on other soil mixes that work well from someone who is using it successfully. What time of year do you sow your seeds? Do you leave them outside to germinate or inside?
    Ahh, you are touching on the secrets of drosophyllum cultivation. You can start seeds any time, but late summer is best IMHO. I leave mine to germinate outside (or I did, this year they aren't germinating!!!) and bring them under lights as a last-ditch effort to get a few more to germinate. I usually get a nice bunch outside and a few more inside.

Here you need to water the 10" pots every other day. And the fact I was using both together with plants that are sensitive about their water requirements did not work well for me. I found that the 14" pots were far superior, and you can grow 3 or 4 plants in each one...which saves space and money in the long run.

I don't know who started that rumor about DPs not growing next to each other...that first pic has 4 mature plants in a 14" pot.

I prefer 4 parts Decomposing Granite to 1 part peat, with a layer of pure chunky granite on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Whoa, awesome plants! The fact that you mentioned that all your losses were in the 10" pots has me a bit worried, since I planted mine in a 10" pot. Mine is tall though, not a regular 10" pot, so maybe that will remedy whatever problem yours had. I have my fingers crossed.

I'm growing mine in an equal mixture of horticultural sand, perlite, black volcanic rock, and vermiculite, with a few handfulls each of peat and sphagnum moss.
    If you pay careful attention to your plants you will be fine. 14" pots are just more stable and my plants grow better in them.

Your soil mix seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NewspaperFort View Post
    I love drosophyllum. I am insanely jealous
    You don't know how many hours I've spent to get this (and they could still die on me without producing seed). I guess it's worth it--if I get to the seed stage this spring!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast