Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Drosophyllum Media Mixture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Drosophyllum Media Mixture

I have 7 plants right now, and am expecting more. I want to know the best media for them. I ask because I know that several members have had success with this plant, and I live in an IDEAL location (Mediterranean climate and everything) to grow it. SO, I'm going to try.

I've been using basically 1.2 parts peat : 1 part perlite : .9 parts vermiculite : .8 parts lava rock : .9 parts silica sand....or just think of it as 1 : 1:1:1:1 with a little more peat.

I recently learned that decomposed granite made a promising medium. I have a friend who has a slope of the stuff. Pure decomposing granite. It is not fertile, that's for sure. I'm wondering if I should use the stuff for future seedlings, and in what proportions.

I hope to have success with this species, and this is one plant I have a place to grow (and just enough water to grow it with)

Also, what do you guys do when it rains?

Thank you!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good drainage is what you want to achieve and it appears that you wll have it. Germination and the frst few weeks are the hardest part.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forbes Conrad's tests of the LACPS showed that pure decomposed granite grit to be the best substrate for this species. Get from construction supply or one of the many granite mountain ranges around California or your friend. It just pours off the mountain sides from erosion. That's what they are growing in at most of the sites in Portugal.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you NAN. That's just what my friend has! It does "pour off" as you put it. I will collect from the top of the slope, to minimize minerals, sieve the stuff and rinse it. Then I will plant the plant in that alone?
    Last edited by SDCPs; 10-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. I'd be inclined to add maybe 5% or so fine pine bark mulch. The in situ photos I've seen looks like there are pine needles on the ground and pine trees nearby:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=3968

This thread mentions them growing in granite soil (in Portuguese):
    http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=1231
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the pure granite dries out relatively quickly compared to the other medium. But it looks MUCH nicer. The plant hasn't died so that's a good sign!

I will, once my plants become mature, report my successes and failures. I have 3 different media mixtures I'm growing in right now...so I'll definitely be able to compare...especially since a 4rth is about to be created.

Thank you so much for you help, NAN. I really enjoyed the photos!

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

And, if all goes well, I hope to introduce the plant to my friend's granite slopes. Now THAT would be cool. Would under one of his pine trees be good?

There are three problems:

1) is the soil nutrient-poor enough for them?
    2) can they tolerate the heat (his place can get slightly over 100 F in summers)
    3) would they be watered by sprinklers, and if so, can they handle mineral water?

But if this is doable...oh man. I'll spend hours in his yard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I have 13 plants.

1 is for watering with tap water, and 2 are for planting on the granite slope. I'm going to try it.

I have another batch of seeds I'm waiting to sprout, so I'm going to keep at least 3 plants of that batch (if they sprout) for myself.

So far, not one has died, and some are putting out their 3rd and 4rth leaves. They seem to enjoy the rain we've been getting, and none of them have been damaged by even a relatively heavy rain (my place got 2.5 inches of it, according to my rain collectors.)

The plants in the granite (2 right now) are not dying, and one looks very happy. We will see! We will see.

I will report how the two plants do on the granite slope itself.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one seedling that didn't dry out on the granite slope caught it's first meal today. A fungas gnat

Decomposing granite seems to work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast