What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dews looking happy for me at the moment

Drosera regia (wide shot can see hygrometer this is inside my greenhouse with doors open)

DSC_00490006.jpg

DSC_00510007.jpg

Drosophyllum lusitanicum
DSC_00540009.jpg

DSC_00530008.jpg

Last edited:
Everything looks happy! And that Drosophyllum is ridiculous! :-O

D. regial 'Big Easy' producing an offshoot. it is already spoken for
DSC_00010001_19.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I like the regia. They look so happy!

Mine looks good and is always dewy, but never has more than 5 leaves at a time. Is this a humidity thing?

don't know if it humidity or temp/climate similar to what it is native to in South Africa. My climate is quite similar to Cape Town..

i am also feeding them via timed release fertilizer and some dilute liquid feed

Looks like the Drosophyllum really does it's job!

I don't see the Drosophyllum ya'll are raving about.... All I see is a mass of dead bugs!

I read somewhere on the net a while ago that Drosophyllum was one of/the most successful flypaper trap carnivorous plants in terms of prey caught... wasn't sure if that was true or not, but after seeing that photo, I am believing it much more! Wow!

D. binata "Dichotoma Giant" top and D. binata "multifida Extrema" bottom
DSC_00020001_9.jpg

based on size and numb r of flowers I would almost guess that the D. binata "Dichotoma Giant" is a tetraploid. Also supports why the hybrid between the two D. binata 'Martson Dragon' appears to be incompatible with either parent. It is triploid.

Last edited:
The sticky traps on Drosophyllum are resin based so the prey doesn't wash out with rain, less likely to get blown off by wind or drop off if the "dew" dries out.

Interesting observations, Mach.

* Correction: Roridula has resin based dew, not Drosophyllum, although Drosophyllum dew has some interesting properties. Among these are a strong honey scent and a yellow fluorescent substance.

Last edited:
The tuberous dews are starting to make their seasonal appearance
D. whittakeri
DSC_05070003.jpg

will post others once they start making leaves. some are just stems sticking out out of the ground.....

Also this guy is doing very well for me although a bit slower than what I expect from most sundews....
DSC_05050001.jpg

Last edited:
Cool!

OOooo sweet!

Ooo.. very nice. Still waiting to see my whittakeri. My D. macrophylla ssp. monantha and llowriei 'Giant' both broke the surface this weekend though.

They're just beautiful!

D. graomogolensis grow faster in deep pots, the roots like to stretch out. Maybe one of you 2 liter pop bottles made into a pot?

Tuberous drosera video clip

Last edited:
'Beautiful shots and video. I really like the D. stolonifera which I must enjoy vicariously for now as they are 'way over my head.

Do you grow your graos in natural light? I can't seem to get mine that red under T5s.

- Mark

'Beautiful shots and video. I really like the D. stolonifera which I must enjoy vicariously for now as they are 'way over my head.

Do you grow your graos in natural light? I can't seem to get mine that red under T5s.

- Mark

It is one of those benefits of living in a mild cool climate. They grow well for me outdoors. I do have the risk of frost in January to February.

Might depend on population of stolonifera the pics I have seen from Barry's trips show wide variations in color. Greens, yellows, reds and things in between...

aww.. wish I could watch vids on this crappy computer. :down:

Back