What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew cycles

My Drosera Adelae dies and comes back from its roots for almost no reason. This does not seem follow the seasonal cycles though I might suspect its form hot summer heat. Its a death cube rescue.

Is there any reason for this.

yes. hot temperatures may very well be the culprit. Adelae in my experience may be hard to establish, but once you get it going, it becomes a WEED. high humidity levels, moderate to bright light is what i found best for the plant.

Well It eradicated the fungus gnats last winter, but it collapsed in the summer

LOL! That's normal behavior for the species!

Hmm... That might explain why my recent Lowes rescue is dying off too... Leaf by leaf, the tips turn brown and then the whole leaf follows. Then hopefully it will also resurrect itself as yours does!

How long does it usually take your plant to start showing new growth?

They can be in a funk for weeks or months, at least from above the surface. But that doesn't mean that there isn't activity going on below.

My Drosera Adelae dies and comes back from its roots for almost no reason. This does not seem follow the seasonal cycles though I might suspect its form hot summer heat. Its a death cube rescue.

Is there any reason for this.

What are the growing conditions? How much light, what kind of light, humidity level, water used. How long have you had it?

I find my window grown Adelae like bright,indirect light in the summer. The one's under a T5 light are about 5-8 inches below the light.

In the winter they look more spent, more than likely due to lower humidity because the heats is on (forced hot air furnace). I sometimes run a humidifier if it too low for too long.

Tom

Hmm... That might explain why my recent Lowes rescue is dying off too... Leaf by leaf, the tips turn brown and then the whole leaf follows. Then hopefully it will also resurrect itself as yours does!

How long does it usually take your plant to start showing new growth?

My plants always makes plant lets when the mother plant is near death. Needless to say my lance leaves never get past four inches.:headwall:

Back