At last, after repeated failures which I now relate to our extremely high Florida humidity, I've finally managed to create a successful hybrid cross between Byblis 'Goliath' and Byblis rorida. By removing the anthers from the flower and bringing them indoors where humidity was much lower (below 50% RH) it seemed to increase pollen viability. The anthers where then split with a sterile scalpel and applied with fine tweezers to the receptive stigmas. My germination rates were fair. Out of 12 seed produced within one capsule, 4 germinated and the resulting seedlings immediately showed hybrid vigor.
My first attempts were made in my greenhouse and thanks to our consistant 80-100% humidity, miserably failed!
I've noticed some very interesting anomalies emerging from my hybrid cross that will be further explained in the photos below. Please note that the Byblis 'Goliath' that I grow is the diploid form and not the tetraploid self-pollinating variant that has been recently documented. And now, time for some photos. Introducing, the first Byblis hybrid! Below are two distinct forms of the forementioned hybrid.
Some interesting things happen when you cross different Byblis species...
Here is one of the more normal looking variants. Traits from both parents are clearly visable in both hybrid variants.
Here's a few B. 'Goliath' variants for your enjoyment;
Brian Barnes 11/2/10.