What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
While I usually keep all my plants well separated and labeled, I'm contemplating dropping a few Drosera in my Heli terras. I'm thinking of dropping some in the pots of my Heliamphora..unless you guys think I should drop some sphag in the terra itself and drop them in that, or just in entirely separate pots with saucers.

I'd need something that can survive 45F-85F, being potted in lfs: perlite, receive lots of bright light, and the humidity I don't think should be a problem but it is relatively high being at the low end of what Heliamphora can tolerate (haven't measured for sure though, because it does fluctuate a lot too being outside). Here's a pic of my Heliamphora setups, and I'd love advice seeing as how I know pretty much nothing about Drosera. The white grating comes to the same level as the wood, so there's usually about a cm or two of water above it that slowly drains to just below the grating, then I refill.

Also, do sundews melt if you pour 1/4 strength orchid fert through them? It's what I feed my Helis and Cephs with occasionally... otherwise the only other inhabitant of those terras is some green stuff in the water (algae?) and Trichoderma.

PC040001.jpg

PC040002.jpg

PC040003.jpg

Oh and I do have a minibog with some Drosera in there in with the vft's and cobra, some pygmy communal pots and some D. capensis so I do know a little bit about Drosera, but not much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say that the tuberous sundews would like Heli conditions, but I think D. binata, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, D. capillaris and D. capensis, as well as the pygmy dews.

dang girl...what the heck? you going there?

pretty much any and every S. American Drosera, and cool growing S. African Drosera.
D. graminifolia is pretty accessible. D. villosa is pretty rare, D. ascendens is even rarer, and D. graomogolensis is !#@)(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, do sundews melt if you pour 1/4 strength orchid fert through them?
Iirc, I think I read a post where Butch (yes the M.I.A. Av-man) croaked some dews when he fertilized his Heli's .... ???

Hmm...maybe no dews in the tanks then, but I think I'm ready to graduate from D.capensis to something a little fancier :p

Personally, I think D. capensis and D. binata are very magestic looking plants. Their only crime is that they're too easy... like dandelions.

Sympatric with Heliamphora are the Drosera native to the Tepui's. These are fussy plants in general, but appreciate the same considerations as Heliamphora...if you can find them, that is!

There are some really nice droserae that you can use in those conditions easier and more available. A personal favorite is Drosera venusta "Coccicaulis", Drosera sessilifolia....well, just about anything will do well if you can grow Heli's! Cool roots and lots of light is the charm for both Droaera and Heliamphora.

If you have the space and conditions why not just go crazy? But beware, these little plants have a way of catching hearts as well as bugs!

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Sympatric with Heliamphora are the Drosera native to the Tepui's. These are fussy plants in general, but appreciate the same considerations as Heliamphora...if you can find them, that is!

There are some really nice droserae that you can use in those conditions easier and more available. A personal favorite is Drosera venusta "Coccicaulis", Drosera sessilifolia....well, just about anything will do well if you can grow Heli's! Cool roots and lots of light is the charm for both Droaera and Heliamphora.

If you have the space and conditions why not just go crazy? But beware, these little plants have a way of catching hearts as well as bugs!

Back