Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiny white things??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlike pitcher plants, dews usually react poorly to most pesticide treatments ime. Of the systemics, pesticides containing imidacloprid seem to have less nasty impact than others. Neem (as mentioned) is favored by many but I don't believe it is systemic.

For a truly benign approach, consider CO2 treatment w/ dry ice. I'm just finishing a treatment because I received aphids in a trade.

In addition, you probably want to get in the habit of closely inspecting your plants on a regular basis. You are fortunate that your plant is robust so it has withstood this attack very well. Other plants could be mostly dead by this stage. Also, other pests may be significantly less obvious than this.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright - looks like it's an aphid infestation then. Phwar! OK, I need to go find me some pesticides stat. I read on AllExperts that Ortho brand systemic insecticide is safe on sundews. That should be easy for me to find.

These little suckers are gonna burn!!!

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After trying avariety of appraoches to aphids (CO2, drowning, Bayer Rose stuff....) I found that the Neem oil application worled the best. I haven't seen any sign of the pests since the repeated application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    I read on AllExperts that Ortho brand systemic insecticide is safe on sundews. That should be easy for me to find.
    I'm not familiar with "AllExperts" but unless Ortho changed the formulation (& kept the name):

- Ortho Systemic has been pulled from the market (I believe the active acephate has been banned)
    - will typically cause a negative reaction when used on dews (killing some)
    - has a horrendous odor & toxicity to people is not good (aka: not the ideal stuff for indoor use)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthene (Acephate) has suffered the fate of all organo-phosphate based insecticides - usage has been banned. I haven't checked its status recently but it was available (probably stocks on hand) for limited commercial/agricultural use. All consumer level products were pulled from the shelves a couple years ago. You might be able to find it online in bulk quantities (concentrates). You might even find an online store that will ship it to you illegally as a few suppliers put the responsibility on the buyer to check if it is legal to ship to your state. I would avoid doing business with such sources.

A good place to check on the status of a pesticide is http://www.pesticideinfo.org/
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I'm not familiar with "AllExperts"
    AllExperts is a place that usually ends up high on my list of Google search results for various carnivorous plant-related posts. I believe Jeff Dallas from Sarracenia Northwest, among others, frequently answer questions of posters. Here is where I got my info about Ortho pesticide. This post is from July of this year.

I just picked up some Green Light brand fruit tree spray. The ingredients are:
    0.25% pyrethrins
    2.5% piperonyl butoxide, technical
    70% clarified hydrophobic neem oil extract
    27.25% "other ingredients"

Any opinions about whether this should go on my plants? I've read various places that Green Light brand pesticide with neem oil & pyrethrines is OK to use on carnivorous plants, but I'm not sure if they were talking about this product specifically.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did it go? Were you able to kill the pests and what did you end up using?

P.S. Just curious, since I notice the purple tinge in your photos, what lights are you using?
    Nwm. found it here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124649

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One method I dont see used much anymore, and has always worked for me, is submerging the infected plant for a few days in pure water, making sure the top of the plant is completely under water, and using some form of small weight to keep the pot down... Has always worked for me on hardy dews, vfts, and sarras.... Just because the risk of damage with pesticides is far greater than dunking/submerging the plants... D. capensis can take it no prob...
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-23-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment, D. capensis, not Capensis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast