What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata "dichotoma": Is dormancy required?

Drosera binata "dichotoma" * ~ spelled it wrong in the title, lol

I've read a few places that it isn't required and that growing it as a tropical should be fine, but being from a temperate region of New Zealand, I'm wondering if not having it go dormant will have an adverse impact.

I've noticed leaf and dew production dropping dramatically in the last month or so. It's still under my grow lights, but is not receiving as much light from the window (new leaf growth is also more green as opposed to the deep red during the summer).

Will the plant still bounce back in the spring without a full on dormancy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the plant will be fine. They often slow down in winter. Some go dormany, and some semi-dormant. Just don't worry about it. Tis a hardy plant. Where/who did you get it from?

From a nursery in the Portland area.

They'll slow a little if they catch any indication of the time of year; change in light, cooler temperatures, commercials reminding you of how many shopping days are left until Christmas. I have a number of clones from them and none need any special treatment during this time - only patience.
~Joe

I found that even in a terrarium with long day lighting, my NZ clones all go dormant in October. This species has a remarkable sensitivity to changes verring off from optimal, and is prone to go dormant if the conditions persist. I wouldn't worry about it, it will take care of matters on its own if it needs a rest, and return with added vigor after. Even if not fully asleep, it's currently conserving its energy. If you are concerned, take a leaf and try some bud propagation with it in pure water under good light, or try a root cutting. Good luck with your plant, I like the NZ plants very much!

Tamlin beat me to it, but leaf cuttings go a long way to preserving D. binata types:

Picture002-12.jpg

Picture001-28.jpg

100_8590.jpg

Jim,
Is that Drosera binata flowering sized in that photo, and does it maintain the simple bifurcation when mature? Is this the NZ clone?
I'm looking for a stable "non multifada" type, and they are not too common.
Very nice photo!!

These are young plants, started this year. I haven't a clue as to their origin. I'd be happy to send you specimens... and other sundews, utrics, pings,....

My experience with many different forms of Drosera binata is that no matter how carefully their environment is manipulated, some will go dormant and some won't. Photoperiod, day/night temperatures, and moisture levels may all play a part in the process. There are some forms that rarely go dormant and some forms that nearly always go dormant.

There does not seem to be a requirement for dormancy, and plants don't seem to do better after dormancy than if they hadn't gone dormant. It's just something to watch out for with this species. If you weren't expecting it, you might think the plant had suddenly expired. Usually dormant plant will begin growing again in a few months. Don't forget to keep dormant plants moist, they can perish if they are allowed to become too dry for to long.

I've never been able to keep the dichotoma alive for more than a year but have had better success with the Marston Dragon & Multifida. The straight up D. binata has done the best for me. I have a couple plants that do go dormant every fall, for the past 5 or 6 years, giving the appearance that they died out, only to re-emerge in spring.

They're in this picture.... somewhere:

Picture025-2.jpg

From 4 years ago:

IMG_0001.jpg

Back