Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drosera regia review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had good success with an almost aquatic set up, double potted so the water was a few cm beneath the substrate. Used a base sump of redwoood mulch and pure live sphag run thru the food processor. I know that sounds strange but it worked for a couple of years. My plants went dormant when temps dropped suddenly. I think Mach is right, too much light isn't the best for this species, especially not light high in the UV, and can also say consistently high temps are the death of them...they need cool roots and a good night time drop in temps of 5-10 degrees to stay happy. Humidity here is never below 50% but I didn't find these plants particularly sensitive to variances within 50-100%. I did not flower my plants and so consider my efforts only minimally effective. Since they were large and healthy I suspect that a precise photoperiod with uninterrupted dark might be called for, but I don't know. Some of my gut level feelings are these plants aren't so much sensitive to medium, although I think they are to the acidity of the medium, need deep pots for the roots to reach, need regular feeding, less UV, nightly temp variances 5-10 degrees, cool roots and to be LEFT ALONE in one spot. I have seen them grown fairly well in low light terrariums, as strange as that sounds, at least until they out grew them. A really great species and one of the oldest members in Droseracae.

Transplant shock is the result of poor technique in my opinion, I never had a problem repotting any droserae at any time. It's also a good time to take root cuttings, and this should be done in case the parent plant pulls a Jim Scott :-) I wonder what Drosera regia is selling for these days? Is it an arm and a leg or is it just down to a leg now?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what Drosera regia is selling for these days?
    The only vendor prices I can find are $20 for a small and $35 for a medium but both sellers are "out of stock" and have been for quite awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown my D. regia for over 7 years and it's been from Cali, to Brooklyn to a few places on Long Island and it's flowered... cool temps are important. constant 80F heat will kill em. They seem to love it in the mid 60's.

I use a perlite/peat mix that's pretty loose and I don't over-water em and I do not let the media get all water-logged. Bigger ones can get thirsty, soaking up lots of water. I kinda let them soak up their water and then add more...

I use florescent lights and they love em, although when they do get sunlight the dew will get much more gobby.

The bigger they are, the less they like repotting. They do spring back though.

They do well in basements under lights... if your conditions are right, they can be pretty easy. If they are not right, then they will be difficult! Sure they might be able to survive 90F heat for a spell, but for an entire summer they won't.

D. 'Big Easy' are definitely more tolerant, but not bomb-proof.

These are great plants and can get quite large. One of my favorites!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-05-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dex,
    I've only had my D. regia a short time, but I have been giving it around the same conditions you have described aside from the water part. I have been keeping it less wet. More along the lines of how I keep my VFT and sarracenia. Damp but not waterlogged. I am starting to wonder if I should up the water a little.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-05-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any plants above 3" or so (or plants from root propagation) have grown like weeds for me but I have had a difficult time growing them from seed the few times I have tried.

John B. has some new seeds in the ICPS seedbank for those interested (I'm going to try again - crosses fingers and faces east - hoping a lot). He also has posted a new writeup with his experiences with the species - very informative / helpful!
    Last edited by RL7836; 01-11-2011 at 01:31 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw quogue's D. regia a couple years ago and it really is something else. His advice is gold in my opinion. There are a couple pictures in this post if you scroll down a little of his plant (not a full plant shot).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliment Xvart! You're gonna have to make it to next years NECPS show you know...
    Great link RL7836, there's more links there as well... printed em out for train reading. It really is tough to find info on D. regia!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    John B. has some new seeds in the ICPS seedbank for those interested (I'm going to try again - crosses fingers and faces east - hoping a lot). He also has posted a new writeup with his experiences with the species - very informative / helpful!
    Thanks for the lead! I'm growing some more D. regia now!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast