Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drosera regia review

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera regia review

I promised myself I wouldn't get any more carnivores this season. However, one more has reared it's beautiful tendril and tantalized my addiction.

Drosera regia -
    I have read through as many of the old threads I could here on TF and I tried searching ICPS (to no avail ), so I have done a fair amount of research so far.

I see one available on the web at the moment, and I'll-be-darned if I'm not totally convincing myself to buy it. I just am looking for a little more clarification/input.

So the source is selling the plant potted, as-is in substrate already, so I'm not immediately worried about what substrate to use.

Many of the growing conditions I read about seem to vary. But from what I gather these plants need:

Pretty much as much light as possible.

Good amount of water. (Some saying it can be almost aquatic?)

Humidity ?? (Very mixed info on this)

Temps that could be considered mild Highland temperatures. High of 80 degrees with dips into 50-60's.

A dormancy of some kind, though there appears to be a bit of controversy regarding what kind. Some posts said that their plants go dormant in the heat of Summer, others saying that it is a winter dormancy that is needed.

Heavy feeding.

Questions:

For those of you that grow D. regia, what conditions do you keep yours in or have you found the most success with?

Is a dormancy required?

How tolerant is this plant of high humidity?

Do you think I could have success growing this plant inside of a terrarium with my highland Nepenthes under artificial lights?

Thanks for looking and answering!

If anyone has any tips, experiences, or just wants to shamelessly display their King Sundews, please, do so!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A while back I did a comparison of my approximate weather conditions and Cape Town South Africa. The closest weather station to me that was near by and in a similar climatic zone was the Kula Agricultural Experiment Station. It is about 300 to 500 feet lower in elevation that my place. So i am a minimum of a few degrees cooler on the average. I am further to the east so i also get a bit more rain if the weather were normal.

What i found is that my climate is very much like South Africa in terms of temp and rain fall. Figured it would be easy to grow all sorts of South African Drosera. some are weeds but when it came to D. regia, boy was I wrong. i killed about 3 before I realized that it could not manage my direct full sun. Move them to places where they were protected from the noon sun. Still killed them. grew them under a lexan/polycarobonate film that absorbed UV light and bingo can keep them alive. i still need to work on the media part. i have them in a pot that is top dressed with live sphagnum. Pot is deep mostly full of volcanic rock. And watered with a tray. However found most of the roots up in the live sphagnum. So thinking needs tweeking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow the normal and the 'Big Easy' forms of D. regia and they both behave the same way in the conditions I give them. They've grown for 2 years without dormancy, and only signs of speeding up growth now. So it seems there is no "need" for dormancy they like the conditions they're growing in.

Dormancy- not required but if given unfavorable conditions it will go dormant during this time (blacken from the tips downward) and form a hibernacula-like bud at the level of the media. If frozen suddenly, it would probably die back to the roots and then regenerate plants if the temps were favorable soon after this.

Temperatures- Mine went to go dormant under lights when I gave them temps right around 85F but others report theirs can handle 90F without going dormant. It depends on the root temp, so this could vary depending on the media. I believe one grower reported that their plants went dormant when the temps drop below a certain temp- I think it was mid 40s or something, but I haven't tried testing its lower ranges yet...

Media- My normal D. regia are growing in the typical 1:1 peat: sand mix and are doing very well. I grow my 'Big Easy' in Joseph Clemens' mix of 1:1 dead LFS: redwood bark topped with live sphagnum. (I'm using Cypress right now, since I don't have any Redwood mulch). I also added a small amount of peat:sand mix in for kicks. The 'Big Easy' is doing very well, too. I think if you substituted living sphagnum in for dead, it may be able to provide a cooling effect for the roots, as has been reported for some heat-sensitive South American sundews.

Humidity- I think that if you are going to have higher humidity, you should use a better draining peat:sand mix. There may be more of a tendency to rot if the media is waterlogged and the plant is in very humid conditions. I know that 2 other growers grow theirs in highland terrariums, and the plants look great, so it can be done.

Lighting- I grow mine so that the leaves are touching the T-8 lights, and they don't burn up except for the very tip. When I grew one plant outdoors in 80F temps, it did pretty well in a partly sunny location that was shaded during the hottest part of the day, but in full sun the leaves quickly lost their dew and it colored up way faster than under lights, so I moved it back into the shade, where it was happier. Mach raises an interesting point with the UV light, though. Maybe they are taking on too much radiation in your location and are getting damaged? I definitely prefer growing it in the basement where the temps and lighting are more controlled.

Roots- extremely long so I like using as tall of a pot as possible. My Big Easy is in a 6" pot and my other plants are in a 4" pot and doing fine, but I only do this because of a lack of space. However, their roots can grow quite longer than a foot when the plant is large, so the bigger the pot, the larger the plant can get.
    Last edited by CPlantaholic; 12-29-2010 at 01:38 AM.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my D. regia in partial sun. In summer it receives around 4 hours of direct sun and bight light the rest of the day. In winter it receives around 6 hours of direct sun and bright light the rest of the day. Humidity here gets around 15%(daytime) in the summer and around 30% at night. In winter its usually around 30% in the day and around 60% at night. Temps were my D. regia sits can get as high as 95F and as cold as 40F. I have never personally seen it go fully dormant, but it does slow down a bit in extended periods of hot or cold temperatures. My plant is still rather small, only about 5-6 inches tall, but even on such a small plant, it has a massive root system. I actually just repotted it and it had 3 very thick roots, 10+ inches each. (I cut one off and am trying to propagate it.) It went from being in a 1.5 gallon sized pot to a 2.5 tall gallon sized pot. The larger pot helps avoid over watering. Soil mix of 30% peat, 15% perlite, and 55% silica sand. I hadn't repotted it in 2 years, when i first got it; it was tiny back then, about an inch high with roots only about 2 inches and very thine. Huge difference.

A friend of mine had his D. regia in his highland greenhouse and it did very well in there. Very high humidity, but very bright in there. From the sound of it, it was growing a lot faster than mine. So as far as humidity goes, they can handle a lot, as long as it is getting a lot of sun, or light. But they can be grown in low humidity as long as you don't give it so much direct sun.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-05-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can kill them in just about any set of conditions described above! Get a D. capensis... just as majestic and won't die!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-05-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the input guys, it is really invaluable.

So as I have found, it sounds like the conditions for growing these plants can really vary. Now I wonder if it is really worth my spending too much money on getting one!

@Jim - Lol! I have a few D. capensis already. I love 'em of course. They are no Drosera regia, though.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine like most everything else...but a little less sun than my Sarracenia. I wasn't even aware they went dormant. I try to keep it on the drier side, but it can tolerate wet for a bit. I grow mine like a VFT I guess...best way to describe it. But of course, it doesn't go dormant like the VFTs do.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-07-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, i'd wait for spring and see if maybe someone here has extras. I'm sure it would be cheaper if you got one through here, you know, trade for one.

Most ppl say they're fuzzy when it comes to repotting, but I dont think they are. Since i've had mine, i've repotted it 4 times. Have never had a problem with it. In fact, it seems to have recovered from being repotted already. 5 days later the newest leaves have dew on them again, and the new growth has started again. Maybe i'm just lucky, who knows.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast