What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have been neglecting my plants lately so I snapped some pics while feeding/watering. These are my two favorite dews I have right now...

D. regia - got this one from a secret shopper friend at the NECPS show. Really starting to take off. It loves my highland conditions and intermittent feedings I think. The tips do brown a little on occasion but the plant as a whole seems to be OK. The leaves have almost doubled in size since I got it. I keep it about 6 inces from the lights and keep the soil on the drier side.

regial.jpg

From the other end of the spectrum is my D. falconeri. I keep this hot and wet. Still waiting on this one to go dormant. My first falconeri so not too sure when that will be. Any tips on this one are welcome. Since I grow it under timed lighting and an artificial environment, I may need to coax this on into dormancy.

falconeri.jpg

Last edited:
I would advise against trying to encourage dormancy! From my experience dormancy in the Petiolaris Complex is a response to adverse growing conditions, not requried as with the temperate Drosera species. I believe these plants do dormant if and when they need it, and petiolaris dormancy is often fatal. With good conditions the plants will grow indefinitely.

Ah, good to know! Thanks. Yes, I was under the impression that dormancy was required. If not annuallly then occasionally to insure long term survival.

Very nice, and that D. falconeri is looking GREAT!!!

I love them, nice plants.

Thanks all. I was going over my old photos and came across a pic of my falconeri when I first got it back in April/May. I had forgotten how small it was when I first got it. It has gotten some size on it in the last few months.

falconeri.jpg

Thanks all. I was going over my old photos and came across a pic of my falconeri when I first got it back in April/May. I had forgotten how small it was when I first got it. It has gotten some size on it in the last few months.

Amazing how that happens, huh? When I went back to school this Fall, all my friends were commenting on how large my heliamphora had gotten. I didnt really believe them till I saw some old pictures! Its important to keep a photo record not only for documentation, but as a little confidence booster when you look back and see just how large your plants have gotten!!

CJ

Beautiful plants! I really like great color on the D. falconeri. Thanks for sharing.

Back