What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis - repot before or after flowering?

jonnyq

Supporter
Good evening, all!

Back in the early fall, I purchased a little D. capensis at the NECPS show in RI... It was my first Drosera of any kind, and I hadn't planned on jumping this genus until late this calendar year, but the opportunity was there (and in all honesty, I was in a daze, like a kid at a candy store. :banana2: <- that was me. :crazy: <- that was my wife pointing at me).

Anyhow, I took this little capensis and repotted it into a little 2" square pot, placed in under my fluorescent lamp at work. In less than four months it has more than doubled in size, and a flower stalk is slowly unfurling...

Clearly the plant has outgrown its 2" pot, and I believe it could use a nice repotting to larger accomodations. However, I WOULD like to see it flower and produce seed (to do my first SASE thread.) I'm concerned that repotting it right now might stress it and cause it to abort flower development... (I'm reasonably certain that something similar happened to a S. purpurea of mine last summer.)

Since it seems to doing fine right now, my other thought is "why rock the boat?" I'd prefer to wait until after it flowers and sets seed to repot it... but I wouldn't mind some second and third opinions...?

i wouldn't be too concerned with it. D. capensis is a pretty robust plant. you can plant it in a new pot and it wouldn't even skip a beat.....of course, don't be haphazard through the whole process.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the best flowering and growth i would repot after it flowered.

Yes, as amphirion has said, Drosera capensis is a very robust species, if your conditions are good, and your repotting technique is appropriate, could easily be transplanted without issue. Drosera capensis is usually a very durable Drosera species, and can even regrow from pieces of root or leaf that remain unharmed.

Back