What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

suggested reading

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
As Y'all know, I am new to this wonderful "hobby". I want to start slowly and knowledgeably.
What are the best beginners to intermediate books on the Drosera's to purchase. I would like to learn how to grow from seed as well as advanced care for the plants.
After seeing the many varieties of Drosera pictured here on the TF, I am enthralled with them.
It was even suggested by the Wife....that I build an area just for the CP's!
I want to read up a bit before acquiring any specimens.
Thanks so much for the help Y'all have already provided me with.
BTW....I am also interested in, but not immediately, Nepenthes, and enlarging my Sarr collection. Any suggested reading for those would be well accepted too!
A happy Saturday to all here at TF:hail:

As Y'all know, I am new to this wonderful "hobby". I want to start slowly and knowledgeably.
What are the best beginners to intermediate books on the Drosera's to purchase. I would like to learn how to grow from seed as well as advanced care for the plants.
After seeing the many varieties of Drosera pictured here on the TF, I am enthralled with them.
It was even suggested by the Wife....that I build an area just for the CP's!
I want to read up a bit before acquiring any specimens.
Thanks so much for the help Y'all have already provided me with.
BTW....I am also interested in, but not immediately, Nepenthes, and enlarging my Sarr collection. Any suggested reading for those would be well accepted too!
A happy Saturday to all here at TF:hail:

The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato is a good read for anyone just beginning to get into CP's. I don't have any other books than that, so I can't really offer any other suggestions.

Yeah, The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato is a great choice. Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry Rice as well. Both have great overviews of all the different genera of CP, including sections on Drosera, and are geared towards growing

If you are particularly interested in Drosera, Glistening Carnivores by Stewart McPherson is another great read. It is more geared towards scientific understanding and natural habitat rather than growing, but seeing how they grow in nature is also of great help in learning to grow them at home.

I have the savage garden and it is well read. I have seen the author Stewart McPherson's name quite a lot on the forums. I will order the suggested book "Glistening Carnivores".
Thanks Emily

One book that I LOVE is The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivation.
Good read, with plenty of interesting tidbits, I recommend it.

One book that I LOVE is The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivation.
Good read, with plenty of interesting tidbits, I recommend it.

and another that is on my list!
Thanks!

I have to second William Barthlott's The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants
For temperate dews, I've enjoyed Donald Schnell's Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada .
Have fun reading all these great books! :D

Last edited:
Rain,

I would also recommend running "search" here on TF, reading all the basic info threads, and looking thru as many older posts/threads as you possibly can, as there is a wealth of information already sitting here at your fingertips!

While not as nice or easy as reading a book while on the "throne", but a lot more up to date in many ways actually.
Like growing your own medicine it isn't rocket science, but keep in mind that each one of us have created an environment that is in some way or another, unique from everyone else. Even if we do the exact same set-up as someone, it will be different. And THAT is where the experimenting and learning comes into place.
The best part about this hobby, is in learning to understand what our plants are communicating to us, as they respond to the environment we have created for them. Ultimately, what works for one of us may not work for others exactly the same way.
If you can remember that and use the information, suggestions and advice you get as a "guideline" and not a Law/Rule, then you will be ahead of the game. People can only tell you what may have worked for them, NOT what will work for you!
That is for you to find out and to learn on your own! And THAT is what makes "relating" with plants and other living things so fascinating and terrific!
Good Luck! :-D

Damn good advice, I have been pouring over the old threads quite a bit lately. It is amazing to learn how much I don't know! I think this is a cup of tea for me. I have raised many species of tropical fish through the years and owned a pet store for 7. I am aware and in tune with my environments, both natural and artificial.
I am very patient, as I know experiance cannot be purchased.

Rain,

I would also recommend running "search" here on TF, reading all the basic info threads, and looking thru as many older posts/threads as you possibly can, as there is a wealth of information already sitting here at your fingertips!

While not as nice or easy as reading a book while on the "throne", but a lot more up to date in many ways actually.
Like growing your own medicine it isn't rocket science, but keep in mind that each one of us have created an environment that is in some way or another, unique from everyone else. Even if we do the exact same set-up as someone, it will be different. And THAT is where the experimenting and learning comes into place.
The best part about this hobby, is in learning to understand what our plants are communicating to us, as they respond to the environment we have created for them. Ultimately, what works for one of us may not work for others exactly the same way.
If you can remember that and use the information, suggestions and advice you get as a "guideline" and not a Law/Rule, then you will be ahead of the game. People can only tell you what may have worked for them, NOT what will work for you!
That is for you to find out and to learn on your own! And THAT is what makes "relating" with plants and other living things so fascinating and terrific!
Good Luck! :-D

Thanks BobZ,
It was given to me in a PM, been reading up a bit on that site lately.

Back