Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gemmae?

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gemmae?

I have some pygmy Drosera gemmae ordered, I see very nice colonies in some photos, and singular plants in others.
    Just how many gemmae can/should go in what sized pot? Species plays a part in this?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-18-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can be pretty densely packed. Their root systems are pretty thin, so they won't crowd each other out. I did a google image search for "pygmy Drosera colony" and came up with some hits showing veritable carpets of the plants.

I recently spread about 40 or so gemmae into a 3-1/2" pot knowing that some will not survive to adulthood. That may be a bit too many, but in general they don't need to be spaced out quite like other plants do.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-18-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - First letters of genus names are always capitalized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fury.
    Is it advisable to grow large numbers of them out in a small "tub" and seperate them later?
    Or best left in the pot they are to reside in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. Please get a second opinion on this before you go and do anything. I could be completely wrong. But having seen pictures of very densely packed pygmies, I think you should be OK with dozens to a pot.

As for separating them later, that isn't advisable. They have very thin, hair-like root systems that are basically impossible to dig out without snapping them. That kind of root damage will surely kill the plant. So, where they germinate is where they'll stay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't mind being packed but if you want each individual to grow nicely then you should give them a bit of space. When spacing them you have to consider the size of an adult specimen...which will vary from species to species. Usually we get more problems with mold in winter and pests on the dense cultivated pots than on the spaced ones. It all depends what you want to accomplish. For a nice visual effect you want to plant them close. For nice grown individuals you want to give them 1\4" to 1" of space between the plants. Some species you can transplant, many rosetted ones don't mind that at all, but on the tall growing species you might want to avoid doing that or get a good scoop of soil with the roots. Place them in the pots they will stay in...they only need about 2-3 months to mature. 4" pots or bigger will do.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-18-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - the word species, for plants is both singular and plural, as is
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would plant them in whatever you are going to plant them in and may that be permanent because if you transplant them they might die because there root are so long and skinny and delicate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    Some species you can transplant, many rosetted ones don't mind that at all, but on the tall growing species you might want to avoid doing that or get a good scoop of soil with the roots.
    Hey Mark - what are some of the taller growing species besides the obvious D. scorpioides that you referred to that would be less amenable to transplanting? Perhaps a repot is in order if it is truly possible to dig a few kinds out without nuking their root systems.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-18-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment - spelled D. scorpioides, not D. scorpiodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks,
    I will place the gemmae where they will grow up. Prolly gunna make a few single ( by planting 3 gemmae and eliminating the extras if any) specimens of each species I have, to be used as mother plants. The others will be colonies, more for display.
    BTW I have several types of lighting left over from my old pet store. Are CFL 24" tubes a bit much? I have a few of those left over from reef tanks. Or is plain old 20 wtt florouescent sufficient?

Found it, thanks to the search feature, and a link from a Member.
    Last edited by boxofrain; 01-17-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast