What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting D. capensis - "trunk" underground?

I've had this D. capensis since the summer and it keeps putting up new leaves and old ones turn black and die. But now the growth point is about an inch above the soil level. When I repot it, should I keep this growth point an inch above the soil, or bring it back down to soil level?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it both ways, both were successful. But I've also grown them where they had six inch tall stems and a sheath of old dead leaves, sorta like a palm tree in miniature.

CPlantaholic,
Excellent photo, beautifully illustrates what I attempted to describe.

The plant in the photo was well-tended, with the older dead leaves being trimmed off to nubs, similar to how some palm trees are pruned.

Ussually i go with it a inch above the soil either way is good but that's what i do.

I've had little success using sand and peat when growing sundews from seed, but sources say to use sand with sundews. If it's already in peat/perlite, would you just repot it in peat and perlite?

photo+1-2.JPG

photo+2-2.JPG

I know this is kind of unrelated to the thread title.

Just keep the peat/perlite mix. :)
Or you could use the sand mix, I find both work O.K.

Just keep the peat/perlite mix. :)
Or you could use the sand mix, I find both work O.K.

I was debating back and forth and now I just remembered I'll be having it outside when it's warmer, and perlite pots are pretty light and can blow around. So I'll use sand. Thanks for the reply. Wish me luck!

You can reduce trauma for the plant by simply, "potting-up" by placing the plant in a larger pot and filling in around the original root-ball with fresh media (in this case peat/sand). That way the roots only need to expand into the new media.

Back